Moving Broodies Nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mooman, May 6, 2008.

1. mooman

mooman Dirty Egg Eater

Apr 9, 2008
    Marietta, SC
    I have a broody hen in a nest box about two feet off the ground. The box is shared by all four chickens in the coop/tractor. I am planning on putting some fertile eggs under her. I was wondering if I remove the nesting platform/box in the evening and make her a nice nest in a dark corner of the coop, and put the eggs on them will she set on it or will she go nuts trying to find the non-existant box? I was then going to replace the box in the moring so the other hens can lay there. Will she abandon the ground nest? Any guesses?

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    With a broody, the best thing to do is move her to a safe place away from the other hens. Do so at night. The other hens if they can get to her nest will and will lay eggs .
    And if broody can get to old nest just might leave the eggs.
    If you do it right she will stay set.
    I move my broody to a pet taxi , out of the coop. My set up now and this worked last time. Is the pet taxi, with a dog crate door open taxi in front of it so she can do her thing. Water and food are in the crate. I have it wire together. And right before hatch is due, I'll move broody and her taxi nest, in my tractor . When she is up with all the chicks I take out the taxi.
    Hope this helps, best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by