Moving chick out to coop

If all they do is go up to sleep in the coop, they don't need food and water in there even at that age, they just fill their crops and then sleep all night. The light in my coop stays on for a few hours after dark during winter so they like to go in and party for a while before going to bed. Some days I'm also a little late letting them out in the morning. So I have a pvc pipe feeder in a corner and a hanging bucket with horizontal nipples. They don't use them much but it makes me feel better and has not caused any problems.

If I have sand in my run, what can I give the 7 week old chicks to keep them busy? Right now they are in a dog pen with a top during the day and can scratch around in the grass and look for worms(they got one yesterday). I need to keep them in new coop for a few days till they know it is home, but don't want them bored.

I have just heard that you should not have food and water in the coop. Since it is up high and will be closed at night I don't think rodent will be a problem.  I can mount water and food on the wall temporarily till they are grown. They are currently using a nipple waterer mounted on the side of the brooder. I can make a feeder that mounts on the side as well.

Whatever works with your set up is OK. There are no "rules" regarding where the food & water is kept. For us, food in the coop, water in the run works best. Reasoning...even though our run is covered, during the wet months, the rain sometimes blows in and we didn't want the food getting wet and possibly moldy. We tried having water in the coop but it was spilled several times, our floor is OSB and didn't want the extra moisture in the coop, especially during the winter.

Back
Top Bottom