Moving chickens for day foraging

"I’m planning on several 30” wide x 2’ tall x 4’ long pvc “boxes” covered in chicken wire so they‘ll only go where I want them."

No, I misunderstood. I don't think my system will work for what you want to do. I think you better just carry them, so that you can put them in the boxes. Truthfully, I don't think they will like the boxes, and the more you do it, the less they will like it, and the more they will try to avoid going into them and the harder they will try to get out of them.

I thought you were putting them in another gate or pen around your green house.

Mrs K

I think you better just carry them, so that you can put them in the boxes. Truthfully, I don't think they will like the boxes, and the more you do it, the less they will like it, and the more they will try to avoid going into them and the harder they will try to get out of them.
Hmm, good point, if they don't like the boxes they'll quickly learn to not want to go in the direction of the boxes. I tried a set up like that before, when I had 4 birds, and I used a 4x4 wire pen that I'd move around on the side lawn to get the chickens to scratch up the weeds, but I was carrying them to the pen (they'd head home on their own once released). I never tried herding them to the pen, since it was just 4 birds it seemed easier to just tuck one under each arm and carry them.

Incidentally they really don't do a lot to the weeds, mostly stomped them flat. I ended up having to mow anyhow. :)

Incidentally they really don't do a lot to the weeds, mostly stomped them flat. I ended up having to mow anyhow. :)
I agree with this -& they will dig deep holes, exactly where you don't want them too. Truthfully, I would like you to try it and report back, but I think this might be a case where the theory and reality don't match up.

Mrs K

Thanks for all your input. Sorry to be so long in responding.

A lot of this is so I don’t have to choose between being with the girls and being in the greenhouse. I love their company and they seem to like having me around. I also like the idea of making a compost pile with their manure.

I’ve seen people use chickens to clean up their crops all over the internet. Since they love the Swiss chard, peas, and other crops I thought it might work when I‘m ready to clean up the bed. I’m thinking of boxes that are 2.5’ high x 2.5’ to 3.5’ wide and 5’ long, then putting several together so the length they could run would be maybe 20’ or so. I was thinking of making one of these and carrying it over in a wagon or something, then putting that box into the series. Hope this makes sense. I may try this and if it doesn’t work that way, maybe I can set up a corral beside the greenhouse.

I think you better just carry them
Mostly, my chickens don’t like to be picked up except sometimes the Buff Orpington will stand on the arm of the chair and insist I take her for a walk. Is this something that gets better as they get older or am I doing it wrong or are my chickens just crazy?🤪

Well, when I first started, I thought I wanted them to be pets, and did train them to get on my lap - but I really didn't like it and neither did they. Since then, I have had them for years, once in a while you get one that seems to like it, but most do not.

This is because they are prey, and the action of capturing them is like a predator catching them.

I am hoping for pictures and reports, mostly because I like to see new ideas, and truthfully I don't think this will be easy.

Mrs K

Mostly, my chickens don’t like to be picked up except sometimes the Buff Orpington will stand on the arm of the chair and insist I take her for a walk. Is this something that gets better as they get older or am I doing it wrong or are my chickens just crazy?🤪
Most chickens don't really like being picked up. Some are more tolerant. A few actually do like it (I have an EE that will run over and look up and wait to be picked up).

Back
Top Bottom