Moving chickens for day foraging

Hocus pocus

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
I have a greenhouse that’s a distance from our chickens. I’d like to be able to move them in for a few hours a day into something like a train system I saw on YouTube or Chunnel to forage weeds and crop residue off completed beds and keep me company. My question is about the best way to transport them. I’ve thought about a small wagon with stake beds to form a mini hoop house over, then throwing something tasty to get them aboard. I have 5 hens. Has anyone done something like this? I only saw transport for moving to a new home when I searched.

A long stick in your arm and you can move quite a flock quite a distance. Put a small pile of scratch outside but near the gate or door you want them in. A bigger pile farther in. Then let them out of where they are. Position yourself so that you are behind them. Tap the ground and walk towards them slowly. The moment they move away from you toward the direction you want you stop. Once they relax and start to peck, you again tap the ground, and walk slowly toward them until they move. If some get behind you don't worry, they will rejoin the flock in a bit.

Move slow, remain calm, tap the ground and you can direct a lot of birds.

A long stick in your arm and you can move quite a flock quite a distance. Put a small pile of scratch outside but near the gate or door you want them in. A bigger pile farther in. Then let them out of where they are. Position yourself so that you are behind them. Tap the ground and walk towards them slowly. The moment they move away from you toward the direction you want you stop. Once they relax and start to peck, you again tap the ground, and walk slowly toward them until they move. If some get behind you don't worry, they will rejoin the flock in a bit.

Move slow, remain calm, tap the ground and you can direct a lot of birds.
I’ll play with this in their current fence and see how it goes. How long should the stick be? I’m planning on several 30” wide x 2’ tall x 4’ long pvc “boxes” covered in chicken wire so they‘ll only go where I want them. Do you think I’d be able to get them into something like that with a stick? I’ve not heard of this before, but it sounds interesting.

How long should the stick be?
Any old stick, branch, broomstick etc. that's long enough for you to prod them in the rear if they don't move. I use a dog pooper scooper, so one half in each hand. If you walk behind them and simply herd them in front of you moving 100' should be no issue once they get used to it. My pullets learn from watching the adults.

Most of mine will also follow-the-leader if we walk away from the group. Same idea, but less control because they're behind you instead of in front of you.

Or you can train them to come when called and they should come to you when signaled even if you're somewhere else in the yard. You can do a verbal cue or some other sound cue (like the rattling of treats in a jar) or a combo of both. Just make sure to make the sound(s) and then treat when they come, consistently.

Any old stick, branch, broomstick etc. that's long enough for you to prod them in the rear if they don't move. I use a dog pooper scooper, so one half in each hand. If you walk behind them and simply herd them in front of you moving 100' should be no issue once they get used to it. My pullets learn from watching the adults.

Most of mine will also follow-the-leader if we walk away from the group. Same idea, but less control because they're behind you instead of in front of you.

Or you can train them to come when called and they should come to you when signaled even if you're somewhere else in the yard. You can do a verbal cue or some other sound cue (like the rattling of treats in a jar) or a combo of both. Just make sure to make the sound(s) and then treat when they come, consistently.
I try to be consistent in luring them into their nighttime digs. They’re mostly consistent over a short distance, but sometimes foraging beats treats. They‘re between 3 and 3-1/2 months old. Maybe they’ll get better or I will 😊

I may not have been clear, but it’s 100’ after going by the house and around the compost pile and outbuilding. Probably 4 or 500 ft altogether. Then getting them to their forage units without them getting into other things in the greenhouse. I’ll be trying to do this more or less daily for the summer so I’d like to come up with an easy system. I will try your method in the larger electric fence enclosure. We have hawks regularly so I don’t want any to go astray. It sounds like fun though, like the pied piper. It would be helpful if they get out somehow, too.

I’m always torn between the greenhouse and hanging with the girls, so if I can figure it out it should be great. I don‘t know if we can put links, but the system in the garden I’m thinking of is on YouTube. I think you’ll find it by looking up Chicken train. Diego Footer is the channel.

Thanks for all your help!

I try to be consistent in luring them into their nighttime digs. They’re mostly consistent over a short distance, but sometimes foraging beats treats. They‘re between 3 and 3-1/2 months old. Maybe they’ll get better or I will
Age does play a role. Teens tend to be more prone to random panic and distractions. Once they reach POL you'll discover a lot of that goes away, and they'll be easier to herd around.
I may not have been clear, but it’s 100’ after going by the house and around the compost pile and outbuilding. Probably 4 or 500 ft altogether. Then getting them to their forage units without them getting into other things in the greenhouse. I’ll be trying to do this more or less daily for the summer so I’d like to come up with an easy system. I will try your method in the larger electric fence enclosure. We have hawks regularly so I don’t want any to go astray. It sounds like fun though, like the pied piper. It would be helpful if they get out somehow, too.
500' shouldn't be an issue, I herd my chickens between two lawns depending on where I want them, and that's about 500'.

Yes it's very helpful, especially if there's a predator around or any other reason they need to be moved to or out of somewhere quickly. Thankfully I don't really have an issue with escapees even if I leave the run door fully open as my birds are pretty used to their daily routine, so they only expect to come out at a preset time. So for your foraging idea, if you get them into a routine where you always move them at a certain time of day, they'll come to expect it which just makes the whole thing easier.

Really the only downside with getting them to move on my signals is if I'm out with the chickens and the mail carrier pulls up, if I need to sign for a package I'll turn around and find half the flock following after me. :lol:

Age does play a role. Teens tend to be more prone to random panic and distractions. Once they reach POL you'll discover a lot of that goes away, and they'll be easier to herd around.

500' shouldn't be an issue, I herd my chickens between two lawns depending on where I want them, and that's about 500'.

Yes it's very helpful, especially if there's a predator around or any other reason they need to be moved to or out of somewhere quickly. Thankfully I don't really have an issue with escapees even if I leave the run door fully open as my birds are pretty used to their daily routine, so they only expect to come out at a preset time. So for your foraging idea, if you get them into a routine where you always move them at a certain time of day, they'll come to expect it which just makes the whole thing easier.

Really the only downside with getting them to move on my signals is if I'm out with the chickens and the mail carrier pulls up, if I need to sign for a package I'll turn around and find half the flock following after me. :lol:
very helpful. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom