Moving with chickens

Kale the Quail

Free Ranging
Aug 10, 2019
British Columbia
Our family has four chickens and we're thinking of moving them in either a trailer or our van.
There are two problems:
1. We don't own a trailer so we'd have to rent/buy one. both these options are expensive.
2. the van will have multiple people. Some of those people are allergic to something about the hens and the move is 11 hrs.
If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions on how to transport them we would really appreciate it. Although at this point buying a trailer seems like the only good option for us since we'll most likely be moving to an acreage and the trailer would come in handy in the future anyways.

We'd be going to Calgary, AB, Canada.
The winters would be a lot colder (apparently ranges from 0c to -30c) than what the hens are used to (which is no colder than -15c at most). Should I be concerned about the cold weather differences? we plan on providing them proper insulation and shelter (tarp, bushes, insulated coop, and possibly a barn) but even so, what effects would the colder winter have on them?
Foxtail grass is also a concern. We heard that it can pose a risk to dogs so we're curious if anyone has had any problems with their hens interacting with it? (if you did, what happened and how can could we get rid of the grass).

That's where things are for now. Most things are still up in the air though. Just would like to know these things ahead of time :)

Thanks.

Chickens will travel just fine in a big dog crate, although having people who are allergic (how bad are they?) complicates the story.
So a trailer might be your best option, for the actual move.
However, there are likely legal issues, as health certificates and testing requirements, and the sooner you find out what's needed, the better.
Also you will need housing for them when you arrive, food waterers, heated bases for the waterers, all ready for when you arrive.
It's often best/ easiest to rehome the birds and start new after settling into the new place.
Moving in winter in not fun however you decide to do it!
Mary

I agree with ^^^ change is very hard on chickens, acclimating to a new climate will also be hard. There will be different diseases, germs in a new area.

But the big issue is traveling with livestock across the national border. You will need extensive documentation from a veterinarian to do so.

I would start over. Thing is, how much is a done deal? Is there a set up ready to go? Cause if not, this is going to be a huge stressor on your family. And moving is already stressful.

MRs K

I forgot to mention we're currently in British Columbia, the province next to Alberta. we wouldn't be travelling internationally.
We have checked the inspection Canada website and as long as the animal is healthy you can transport them provincially.

I probably wasn't very clear on the time of year (my bad). We would most likely go this coming summer. I only asked about winter in preparation for the coming years.
We do have a coop + run setup that can be unpacked and set up for them within 2-3 hours along with a feeder and waterer.

We have also considered rehoming them. They're more pets than livestock but if moving with them ends up being too stressful the option isn't completely ruled out.

Thanks for the input :)

Hi. I recently moved 1,000 miles from Los Angeles to Seattle. I moved with my 3-legged dog and 4 beloved hens in the back of an SUV. It was about 20 hours of driving that I did over 3 days/2 nights. I had 2 girls each in 2 dog crates. It went very well. They were so quiet and calm you'd barely know they were out there!

If your family members would be willing to deal with their allergies for a short time (maybe they could take allergy meds, wear mask, open windows, etc), its all very manageable in a van for sure!

Attachments

• 20220614_104420.jpg
    20220614_104420.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 11
Glad that you are moving in summer, and that (at least right now) there aren't any issues moving your birds to a new province. Rules can change overnight!!! Be alert, look things up at least six weeks, and then weekly, before this move. If some disease pops up, things could get very difficult.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom