Moving Chickens -- Time to Acclimate??

ChickiesChick12

Hatching
Aug 22, 2016
Hi there -

I have 6 chickens (3 White Orpingtons & 3 Partridge Rock) who are 18 weeks old. I have raised them since they were 9 days old and they have been outside in their own coop with a run. I recently purchased 25 10-week old Wyandottes. I bought a huge shed and split it with a see through partition, so I have the Wyandottes on one side and the 6 (I refer to them as the Golden Girls) on the other side. The run is huge outside and split as well with a see through partition. We moved the Golden Girls there Sunday evening and they have not come out of the shed since. It is a much bigger area, so I'm assuming that it's going to take a few days for them to acclimate and feel comfortable coming outside. Am I assuming correctly? I feel terrible that they were happy in their own little area and now they're scared and mad (they've been pretty vocal). Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Angie

Just my 2c, but I'd let them all "run" together and let the chips fall where they may. At 25-6, there's going to be absolute pandemonium for a while, which is good since the usual cliches will be broken up as they acclimate to the new digs and coop mates. The sooner everyone acclimates, the better off they will all be.

There will be the usual squawking, pecking, and carrying on, but they will sort it out in a day or two. They always do.

Again, just my 2c. Good luck.

And!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm sure that they will begin to venture out, once they are good and ready. Chickens hate change, and i would imagine that so much space is a frightening change for them. You could try putting a little feed just outside the coop door to see if that encourages them, but they will figure it out eventually.

CT

Chickens don’t like change and it can take them time to acclimate to new conditions. At the same time they are very adaptable. Just give them time. Do not feel awful for them or anything like that. Once they get used to the new facilities they will be much happier than if you had not moved them. They are not human, they are animals. Don’t put your human emotions on them.

You have a two month age difference. Mature chickens always outrank immature chickens, regardless of size, until the younger mature enough to force their way into the pecking order. People love to talk about size but it is not size, it is maturity. It’s not that unusual for bantams to dominate full sized chickens even when both are fully grown.

When you do eventually let them roam together do not be surprised if the young ones avoid the older, basically forming a sub-flock of their own. Sometimes you will see some mingling earlier, but most of the time they pretty much stay separate even when they are fully integrated. Again, just be patient. Once the younger mature enough they will join as one flock. Usually this is when the younger start to lay but can be a bit before or even a month or more later. Each chicken is an individual and each flock has its own dynamics. They are going to do what they are going to do. Don’t feel you have to force them together or that something is wrong if they don’t act exactly as you expect. As long as they are not constantly fighting and drawing blood, it’s all good. They are just being chickens.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us.

Thank you all so much for your responses! Ridgerunner - Thank you especially! Great advice! I'm overprotective when it comes to my animals. They actually ventured out this morning! Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom