moving chickens to new farm

Sonja1018

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Texas
We're moving from suburbia to little ranch an hour away. I'm at a loss on how to "pack" and transport 12 hens,9 ducks, & 6 geese.
1f628.png

I'm hoping someone here will have some ideas, suggestions, or experiences to share.

Pet carriers or cardboard boxes with lots of ventilation holes would work. Bind their legs and lay them in the boxes and make sure that the inside of your vehicle is as cool as possible. No pee breaks on the journey! :)

Ct

Do move in early morning hours possibly before sun comes up. Avoid feeding the evening before. Ventilate as stated before. I would use a couple coops like linked below for all but geese. Make so while handling you keep birds from getting excited. Upon release make certain they are contained for at least a couple days to prevent wandering.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tra...hUKEwjd2ND6xInOAhUEOCYKHfoQDz0Q_AUICSgE&dpr=1

I hauled 9 Roosters on an 8 hour trip to the farm. I used a large plastic dog carrier. I never tied up their legs...Stopped a few times to feed and water them. They did great. Use what ever you have on hand to haul them in. Lock them up once they get to the new place for a few days so they get comfortable in the new setting.

Thanks everyone. The move went flawlessly. We used small Home Depot moving boxes, I "drilled" 2in air holes, put 2 birds to a box, & loosely stacked them in the car. 5 boxes of muscovies, 6 boxes of hens, 3sm + 1med box of geese, and a med box in passenger seat for a goat.
So glad it was only an hour drive. Things were already getting pretty rank just 30mins in
1f628.png

Small moving box sold at Home Depot with 2in holes made with a hole drilling bit.

Loaded and hitting the road. Reba says "Hi".

Young Nigerian Dwarf riding shotgun.

Thanks everyone. The move went flawlessly. We used small Home Depot moving boxes, I "drilled" 2in air holes, put 2 birds to a box, & loosely stacked them in the car. 5 boxes of muscovies, 6 boxes of hens, 3sm + 1med box of geese, and a med box in passenger seat for a goat.
So glad it was only an hour drive. Things were already getting pretty rank just 30mins in
1f628.png
Great!!
One of those trip where you really want to open the windows but really need the air conditioning 8-p

Haha well that's the first time I've seen a goat in a box. Good idea though. I'll be stealing this when I move 6 hens back to my little slice of heaven this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom