Moving chicks outside

Sir Chicken

In the Brooder
May 14, 2016
I have 2 ameraucanas and 6 BR that are 6 weeks old. I want to move them outside with my 4 RIR hens and my rooster. I did the look but don't touch method and I have let a few with the adults only for a few minutes and there seems to be no problems. It is about 65 during the day and 50 at night, do you think can put them in the coop with the adults? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Im not sure yet, You can have them walk outside of the coop and maybe let them play in the coop but bring them in at night till is gets warmer and they grow a little bit :)

I moved my chicks out to the pen today. I have been letting them stay outside on the porch of over a week now and they were fine. They are a month old and feather out so even though my stress level is up I think they are ready. I think you will find the older chickens will be more of an challenge than the temperature.

I also have put out my month and a half old chicks in the grow out pen which is right next to the run for the flock. It has been in the 30s at night and as high as 60 during the day. Our weather has been rainy, today we had a May snow storm. I am from Wisconsin and i guess our chicks/chickens must be hardier as this is what I do every year and have never had an issue with temperatures. I have a dog igloo in the grow up pen where they only stay for 2 weeks to a month, it is kept clean and has bedding inside. No rain or snow penetrates the inside of the igloo. This works for me and i never have any problems integrating the young with the old, or problems with them using the main coop or roosts. Until it does warm up every night i give the chicks additional food to help keep them a bit warmer during the night.
I have babies (chicks less than 3 weeks old) that i keep inside the greenhouse inside of a brooder box, which maintains heat well but I do use a heat lamp at night. I also have bigger chicks (4-6 weeks) inside the barn in their own pen who i do not provide additional heat for at night, just bedding.
Our temperatures most likely make some chicken owners nervous but I think it's the same way the temperatures in Arizona or Australia make me uneasy.

I have 12 RIR(9wks), 11 NH(8wks) and 2 JP (I believe 3mths) is it OK to let them out to forge when it's 40 degree's out? I don't want to freeze

If they are feathered out completely it is probably alright. I kept mine in a large cage and would cover it at night with a heavy comforter. My chicks just snuggle together when its cool or even for naps now. The first week after they had most their feathers I would put them outside in the day time and bring them in at night. The second week I left the cage out on my back porch and covered it. Now they are maybe 5 or 6 weeks old they are outside in the pen (when I can keep them in that is). Arkansas is a pretty moderate place temperature-wise. I probably would worry if it was freezing weather however.

Back
Top Bottom