Moving chicks to brooder

RaeElizabeth

Songster
May 3, 2020
Humidity here today is 89% warm and rainy.

I have two magicfly style incubators with 10 eggs in each. They are in my garage and the door is wide open and has been all day.

The first chick hatched yesterday at noon and the rest followed every hour or two. There are only 2 left (pipped) in one and 3 in the other I can’t confirm but I think 2/3 are pipped.

The temp gauges on these machines are not correct or consistent, and my internal gauges have been knocked over by the babies. (Didn’t see that coming duh) so I will not leave them overnight. I have no way of regulating temp and humidity without waking again constantly to check that they are doing ok and make guesses. The risk/benefit here says they need to come out.

Do you think it will shrink wrap the others with such high humidity in this situation? Or do you think they’ll be ok? I will move fast and consolidate the remaining eggs in one incubator and reposition my gauge.

TIA

Thanks! They are out now. When can I give food? I had it in when they went in because they were trying to peck the shavings but now I’m reading not to give yet, panicking again lol.

Yes, provide them with food (chick starter) and water.

I recommend marbles in the water: makes it harder for the suicidal ones to drown, and also the shiny marbles encourage them to peck, and then they get water in their mouth and figure out that it's good to drink.

The shavings probaby won't hurt them, but you could spread a layer of paper towel over the shavings for a day or so until they are better at knowing what is food.

In another few days, offer them a dish of grit as well. That will help them digest the shavings they eat. (They will eat some shavings, and it will not hurt them, as long as they don't stuff themselves on only shavings and nothing else.) Or you could put a dish of grit in now, at the end of the brooder away from the heat, and they'll find it when they get adventurous over the next few days.

They will peck at anything, and eat a bit of everything, because that is how chicks learn about the world.

It's best if they eat mostly chick starter, so make sure it's constantly available, but don't fret about them nibbling other stuff too.

Yes, provide them with food (chick starter) and water.

I recommend marbles in the water: makes it harder for the suicidal ones to drown, and also the shiny marbles encourage them to peck, and then they get water in their mouth and figure out that it's good to drink.

The shavings probaby won't hurt them, but you could spread a layer of paper towel over the shavings for a day or so until they are better at knowing what is food.

In another few days, offer them a dish of grit as well. That will help them digest the shavings they eat. (They will eat some shavings, and it will not hurt them, as long as they don't stuff themselves on only shavings and nothing else.) Or you could put a dish of grit in now, at the end of the brooder away from the heat, and they'll find it when they get adventurous over the next few days.

They will peck at anything, and eat a bit of everything, because that is how chicks learn about the world.

It's best if they eat mostly chick starter, so make sure it's constantly available, but don't fret about them nibbling other stuff too.

Thank you! I peck at the food and water every time I walk by like a mother hen and they all come running out. It’s the cutest thing EVER. 2 more hatched with no shrinkage issues and the third is still working on it. I candled the last again and realized it wasn’t viable. It was a chocolate egg and hard to see from the start but this time it clearly wasn’t a live chick in there for sure.
Thanks so much!! I feel amazing about my first hatch. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom