Moving Chicks to Coop

Shayla5599

In the Brooder
May 3, 2021
Missouri
I have 6, 5 Week Old Chicks. They have been in my garage for the past 2 weeks, and 1 week without a heat lamp. They are feathered out very nicely. I plan to move them to the coop this week, but we are having a random cold snap. My plan was to move them Wednesday morning, so they have all day to warm up, but it will be 39 when I move them out, but warming up quickly. They will have all day Wednesday and Thursday and then it is going to get down to 39 again Thursday Night/Friday Morning. Am I rushing it? Our garage is not insulated and the door is partial opened for the cat to come and go. Its nicer than outside, but to date they've only handled 43 as a low with no heat lamp. Is 4 degrees that big of a deal?

I have 6, 5 Week Old Chicks. They have been in my garage for the past 2 weeks, and 1 week without a heat lamp. They are feathered out very nicely. I plan to move them to the coop this week, but we are having a random cold snap. My plan was to move them Wednesday morning, so they have all day to warm up, but it will be 39 when I move them out, but warming up quickly. They will have all day Wednesday and Thursday and then it is going to get down to 39 again Thursday Night/Friday Morning. Am I rushing it? Our garage is not insulated and the door is partial opened for the cat to come and go. Its nicer than outside, but to date they've only handled 43 as a low with no heat lamp. Is 4 degrees that big of a deal?
I don't think so. If they're feathered nicely they'll be fine.

Is 4 degrees that big of a deal?
No, especially since they have been acclimated. The only question I'd have is what kind of wind protection and ventilation do they have outside. I've had chicks that age go through nights in the mid 20's F but they had great ventilation up high and tremendous wind protection down low where they were.

I am putting my 8 5 weeks old in the coop this week-end. Our weather here in Texas is only chili at night so Im not too concerned about that. I was wondering how your transition went? I am really anxious about the move but they are getting cabin fever, and yesterday one escaped the chicken wire i have over the brooder lol.

Back
Top Bottom