Moving chicks to coop

MarshmallowsDuckies

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2022
Hi. My chicks are 4-5 weeks old and are feathered except for their necks. Currently they live in my spare bedroom in a kiddie pool with heat lamp. I’ve been leaving the bedroom window open to let air in. They seem to do fine and just run around the place. They don’t act like they are cold.
Can I move them out to the coop with a heat lamp? It is hooked up for electricity and my friend that owned the coop before put chicks in there with a heat lamp and it went well.
For context, I live in Minnesota. Next week is supposed to get more into the 50s and 60s. Also the chicks would not be going outside but staying primarily in the coop for now. Thanks.

For sure they can. Mine move out to the coop with MHP and a ceramic heat bulb after 2 or 3 days. It's been *28 at night. They're 8 weeks now with no more heat lamp. Only reason I haven't taken the MHP away is low temps, they can get on top for warmth at night if needed
Perfect. Thank you! I am getting so sick of my house smelling like chickens lol.

Are you turning off the heat lamp during the day? If there is a decent break in the weather, no nights below freezing with days in the 60s, I'd go to the coop without heat but provide a huddle box.
I put out 5 week old in an open sided loafing shed and it snowed a week later and they didn't even notice it.
No I’ve been leaving it on but keeping the window open also so I’d say it’s been about 70 in the room?

No I’ve been leaving it on but keeping the window open also so I’d say it’s been about 70 in the room?
Start turning it off during the day. I'd aggressively work on weaning them off heat, then moving them out. 50s & 60s is absolutely fine for healthy chicks their age, sans heat, as long as they're weaned off heat.

Hi. My chicks are 4-5 weeks old and are feathered except for their necks. Currently they live in my spare bedroom in a kiddie pool with heat lamp. I’ve been leaving the bedroom window open to let air in. They seem to do fine and just run around the place. They don’t act like they are cold.
Can I move them out to the coop with a heat lamp? It is hooked up for electricity and my friend that owned the coop before put chicks in there with a heat lamp and it went well.
For context, I live in Minnesota. Next week is supposed to get more into the 50s and 60s. Also the chicks would not be going outside but staying primarily in the coop for now. Thanks.
Update: They did great last night! I did put 2 heat lamps at different heights in there because I checked after a bit and they seemed cold with the 1. It got down to 20° last night. Tonight is supposed to be cold as well and then it’s going to start getting warmer hopefully. So hopefully this week I can switch to the 1 heat lamp and then start turning it off during the day once the weather stays warmer. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom