Moving chicks to garage.

Poetspets

Chirping
Mar 31, 2018
Upper Michigan
Hello I currently have 4 golden Sebright 4 weeks old and 6 silkie bantams 2.5 weeks old. I was brooding them in my house in a 50 gallon tote until today. The space had become way to small and the seabrights needed more room to spread their wings. Today I set up a 4x4 dog gazebo up in the garage. I placed a tarp down then a cardboard layer, then thick layer of pine bedding. On the sides of the pen I zip tied cardboard to try to eliminate any draft. Inside I have a 250 watt infrared light and a heat pad cave. The issue is just outside the heat light area it is only 65 degrees and the edge it is about 50. In the house their temp has not dropped below 75 since they were in a bedroom with the door shut.
Do you think they will be ok without me adding another light?

It’s not pretty but I attached some photos as well:)

Attachments

• FFE85553-34D0-4BA7-9EFA-143323B06F5D.jpeg
    FFE85553-34D0-4BA7-9EFA-143323B06F5D.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 8
  • BB407421-EB53-436F-B344-4E125D81A1DE.jpeg
    BB407421-EB53-436F-B344-4E125D81A1DE.jpeg
    563.9 KB · Views: 8
If your MHP is big enough for them all to get under, you can get rid of the heat lamp. Actually, I strongly urge and plead with you to get rid of it! At 4 weeks, your Seabrights should be almost fully feathered. They need no heat at all.

I brood my chicks outdoors with MHP. They wean themselves off the pad when the night time temps still get into low 30's.

The purpose of a heat lamp or a MHP is to create a small area for the chicks to go to warm up. The rest of the brooder should be what ever the ambient temperature is. Mama Broody does not heat the outdoors. Her babies are happy to tumble around in the chicken yard at what ever the temperature happens to be. And many chicks thrive while chasing after Mama when temps are in 30's and 40's.

Your tarped enclosure is gonna be like a sauna. Open it up, allow some air circulation, and give those babies some cool air. They will thank you.

I think it looks fine, but probably take the tarp off. You said they have a heating pad? If so, it won't matter that the rest is a bit cooler. I personally think it's good for the chicks to have an area to get away from the warmth. If you think about it, chicks normally would be under a hen and go out into colder weather. As long as you have food and water close enough to where the heating pad is, I think it would be fine. I'm guessing that the Silkies would be the ones to use the heating pad the most. I think you're fine! However, if you do notice that they seem to be cold, like huddling together, then you can lower the heat lamp. But I don't think you'll need one.

I too am going for the garage area for brooding. I have a 5 foot kidde pool and the 10pc. corral to put inside it. Add some pine chips and a 125 watt bulb and go to go. Still working on the coop with additional area for resting on.

Back
Top Bottom