Moving chicks to the coop

x2 on this, they do NOT need to have run/yard access yet if the space isn't ready or it isn't feasible weather-wise, as long as they have plenty of room in the coop. How many chicks are there?

Assuming you can run power out there I would complete the brooding process in the coop. I wouldn't move the brooder itself, but rather use the coop as the brooding space. 2 week old chicks won't get lost in a 10x10 space if you spend a little time showing them where everything is inside the space, i.e. food and water and where they should go to warm up.
There's 17. I can run power to it. In a couple of weeks the coop will be 100% and the run will be near finished barring water source due to Temps. Figure that will go in operation when they'll actually be outside. Thank you!

If you can put a heat source in the coop, check the temperature with a thermometer for a few days, and you can move them out as soon as you have part of the coop as warm as what they are used to. The whole coop does not need to be that warm, just one corner under a heat lamp or under a brooder plate.

They need a place to warm up, which should be big enough for all the chicks to snuggle in at once, but otherwise they should be fine running all around inside the coop in the cold. Keep the water close enough to the heat that it does not freeze. Yes, you could even move them out at their current age of 2 weeks, IF they have a spot that is warm enough. Some people brood chicks in their outdoor coop from the first day, in all kinds of weather, with an appropriate heat source.

I would put bedding in the coop, but keep the pop door closed for a while longer (maybe a few weeks, or maybe until the weather warms up in March-- it would depend on how sheltered the run is, and how much the chicks seem happy inside the coop. If they have plenty of space inside, they do not really need to go out into the run.)

And yes, I probably would put up the roost so they can experiment with it, although it's not a big deal one way or the other.
Great suggestion! Thank you!

Before you use a brooder plate out there check with the manufacturer on the minimum temperatures they say to use it in. If it is not in the literature maybe an e-mail or phone call. Some recommend a minimum temperature of 50 F. I'm sure they will be extremely cautious but I'm not comfortable recommending a heating plate without that information. A properly set up heating pad can work too. And I totally agree, if you use a heat lamp do not depend on that clamp. Hold it in place with wire or chain so it cannot fall. Not string or plastic that can burn or melt but wire or chain.

I put chicks straight out of the incubator into my 3' x 6' brooder in the coop even when it is below freezing outside. I use a heat lamp and wrap the brooder pretty well in plastic, though I have good ventilation straight above. I keep one end plenty warm but occasionally find ice in the far end of the brooder.

To me the big challenge in brooding outdoors instead of in a climate controlled area are the temperature swings. I've seen it go from below freezing to in the 70's F in a day or the other way. Your brooder has to be able to handle those types of temperature swings. They need one spot warm enough in the coldest temperatures and a spot cool enough in the warmest temperatures. In a 10' x 10' coop you have the room to manage that with a heat plate, heating pad, or heat lamp. You might be surprised at how much time they spend in the cooler sections once they get a little older. That way they acclimate themselves to colder temperatures.

You have 17 and probably need heat for another two to three weeks. They grow fast. Especially if they are full-sized fowl chicks and not all bantams can your heat plate handle that. A lady that has used both a heating pad and a heat lamp said the heat lamp worked better for larger numbers.

Do not open the pop door until you are convinced they can handle those temperatures without any help. That should be around six weeks of age but with that much room later will not hurt. You may still have to teach them to go to bed in the coop at night. By housing them in the coop they should do that on their own but they don't always do what we think they should.

Your
Before you use a brooder plate out there check with the manufacturer on the minimum temperatures they say to use it in. If it is not in the literature maybe an e-mail or phone call. Some recommend a minimum temperature of 50 F. I'm sure they will be extremely cautious but I'm not comfortable recommending a heating plate without that information. A properly set up heating pad can work too. And I totally agree, if you use a heat lamp do not depend on that clamp. Hold it in place with wire or chain so it cannot fall. Not string or plastic that can burn or melt but wire or chain.

I put chicks straight out of the incubator into my 3' x 6' brooder in the coop even when it is below freezing outside. I use a heat lamp and wrap the brooder pretty well in plastic, though I have good ventilation straight above. I keep one end plenty warm but occasionally find ice in the far end of the brooder.

To me the big challenge in brooding outdoors instead of in a climate controlled area are the temperature swings. I've seen it go from below freezing to in the 70's F in a day or the other way. Your brooder has to be able to handle those types of temperature swings. They need one spot warm enough in the coldest temperatures and a spot cool enough in the warmest temperatures. In a 10' x 10' coop you have the room to manage that with a heat plate, heating pad, or heat lamp. You might be surprised at how much time they spend in the cooler sections once they get a little older. That way they acclimate themselves to colder temperatures.

You have 17 and probably need heat for another two to three weeks. They grow fast. Especially if they are full-sized fowl chicks and not all bantams can your heat plate handle that. A lady that has used both a heating pad and a heat lamp said the heat lamp worked better for larger numbers.

Do not open the pop door until you are convinced they can handle those temperatures without any help. That should be around six weeks of age but with that much room later will not hurt. You may still have to teach them to go to bed in the coop at night. By housing them in the coop they should do that on their own but they don't always do what we think they should.
Your suggestions with supporting guidance is awesome! So very appreciative of the time you spent explaining this too me!!

Back
Top Bottom