Moving coop and run?

Lionbee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Northwest
My chickens are comfy in their coop and run. We added an extended fenced off area for them to have some free-range time. They were running around our backyard but we grew concerned about feces being tracked other places. We have backyard shoes only, but with 3 children I just can't keep an eye on them all the time.
So my question is, is there a way to clean up the poop that it is in their gated area? Is it advisable to move them around the yard so they have fresh grass to nibble? If they pick their area clean do they need to have grass? Should I move them and reseed it? I just want them to be happy good layers and I want my family safe from any chicken poop contamination!

I also have two kids and am also concerned about my son (18 months) playing with any poop he finds. If you're talking about a small tractor/ark type coop then by all means move it around. I have a small ark for three bantams, they don't do much damage to the grass so I move it every 5-7 days. I then scoop the droppings and give the area a good rinse with the hose.

My tractor is by my vegetable garden, I use it to keep the grass short. My kids don't go over there without myself or girlfriend to supervise.

chickens do not need grass in their run, many users on here use sand as floor covering in their runs, the chicken bathe in the sand and the droppings are picked up with a kitty litter scoop. The droppings stay in the scoop and the sand falls through. If you did go with the sand way, you'll have to give them more greens, or cut a sod of grass and deliver it to them on a spade. when they've eaten the grass, but a little chicken manure in the hole and replace the sod. Then cut them another one.

hope this helps

Thank you! That is helpful! We don't have a tractor coop. It is fairly large. I won't worry about moving them now. I don't know if I like the idea of covering their area in sand, but as far as clean up is concerned that is a great idea. I will get some sand for them to roll around in though.

depending on how many chickens you have, and how big their run is, they may never eat/scratch up all the grass.

I've kept chickens ans ducks in the same area for two years. The run is about 1500 square feet, I've not measured it exactly, just going off the fencing that I used. There is usually about 7 chickens and 7 ducks, but after breeding and egg hatching I've had up to 60 birds in there. They've still got plenty of grass in there.

Don't bother re-seeding the chickens will eat the seeds and young grass.

If your in two minds about the sand, take a look at this https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=444759

I've
also given mine a sand pit. I simply cut off the grass, broke up the earth with a rake and dumped a mixture of sand and wood ash as the sand was very wet when I put it in there. I've got a tarp stretched over an a-frame to keep it dry when it rains... they love it.

You could borrow my German Shepherd puppy, if there is any chicken poop to be found she will find it and eat it.

Quote:
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom