moving ducks and goose to coyote country

Here is an example of a pretty affordable fenced enclosure:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/669560/keeping-ducks-in-a-pen-only#post_9042573

$120 for the wood. The welded wire fence was salvaged for free, but would probably only run about $100 new. I think the hardware cloth came to another $100.
This is a great run, but i question the cost... of coarse perhaps it's because of where i live, my wire for just my crude set up ran me almost 100$ not to even get into the wood costs associated with that run, the set-up would be a fortune to build here.

Last edited:
You can often find a lot of the materials used. The only thing new in that enclosure was the 4x4 posts and the hardware cloth. The dimensional lumber was culls from a construction site (many warped or split, but who cares for outdoor work) and the welded wire had been used for tree protection in a new orchard (it is a bit rusty and broken in places, but nothing that couldn't be mended).

So, it might take a little longer to assemble your materials, but if you look around, you can find ways to do it on the cheap. Freecycle and Craigslist are great resources.

Last edited:
There is a huge 6500 sq foot warehouse full of all sorts of metal and odds and ends there on the site...in a month we will be going through it all, I hope there is some fencing. If not, looks like I 'll be surfing craigs list. I can reuse my chicken wire that I got out of an old garage for the base protection. Its still going to cost me... I 'll post on here when I start my project. I am going to try for a huge duck run tractor or something that comes apart so they can get to all the grassy areas so I don't have to deal with mud down the road. I will be making a mobile water tower too since they seem to muck up wherever their water is by hanging out and pooping all day.

Back
Top Bottom