Moving ducks in with chickens?

Rammy

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Tennessee
I have three adult ducks, one male Pekin and two Rouen females. They are in a seperate fenced area from the chickens. They wont go into thier house at night but either sleep beside it or in a corner of the yard. One night they spent the entire night in thier pool.
I have a dog house, a chicken/ duck house with a closable door and they wont go in for security. Im also worried about winter coming and being outside. It doesnt get too cold here but sometimes we can wake up to some nasty temps and frozen water and occaissionally very bad snowstorms or freezing rain.
I thought about intergrating them in with my 50+ chickens since maybe, just maybe Id be able to herd them into the coop at night and lock them up. I know some say its a bad idea because of the dampness and all. Another reason Im hesitant is Ive had a recent outbreak of MG that has taken out some of my hens and roosters and Im afraid they might contract it. So far, no other chickens are showing symptoms but still......
I do have a storage shed where the ducks are that I thought about converting into a duckhouse. I can put down linoleum for easy cleaning. Its just trying to figure out how to get them in there at night.
Thanks for reading and any suggestions.

With chickens, you can just walk out at night and pick them up, take them into the coop, lock them in for a week or two, then they will usually come back to roost each night. I don't know what works for ducks, though

For ducks try locking them in for about 2 nights, then let them out, if they don't go in herd them in every night at 1 certain time (also feeding them at that time) so they go in knowing they have food and sleep.
So.....physically put them in the shed at night or the coop I have for them? And leave them in there for two days?

So.....physically put them in the shed at night or the coop I have for them? And leave them in there for two days?
Thats what I did.. and if it doesn't work by doing that herd them in at a certain time every night till they get used to it.. also feed them when you put them away. took about a week or less for my ducks to learn.

I may have to wait til its cooler tho since we are suppose to hit triple digits later this week. When it gets cooler I will do that and see if I can get them to go in by themselves. If I have to I'll pick their fuzzy butts in one by one! :jumpy

Personally I'd keep the Ducks and chickens separated. Drakes will breed a chicken with dire consequences to the chickens.
Convert the shed over to Duck house and put in shavings. Feed and water outside. Ducks are not stupid so herd them in each night and let them out each morning.

Decide where you want to house them at night. Herd them in each night after dark. The later I wait, the easier I find it to be (ducks are party animals at night). They get used to the routine and it gets easier. I like to use a flashlight and shine it into the area I want them to go. Now when I go out after dark to lock them up, they are generally all waiting for me in their designated spot and I don't have to chase/herd/catch them. Once in awhile one will be on the wrong side of the fence, but she's generally happy to join the rest of them and easy to round up.

Decide where you want to house them at night. Herd them in each night after dark. The later I wait, the easier I find it to be (ducks are party animals at night). They get used to the routine and it gets easier. I like to use a flashlight and shine it into the area I want them to go. Now when I go out after dark to lock them up, they are generally all waiting for me in their designated spot and I don't have to chase/herd/catch them. Once in awhile one will be on the wrong side of the fence, but she's generally happy to join the rest of them and easy to round up.

I may try that tonight. I dont think it will hurt putting them in the shed at night and letting them out in the morning. I know I will feel better!

Back
Top Bottom