Moving Due To Chickens-UPDATE

dlfridie

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Hey,
The property manager came snooping around the other day and saw the 2 hens in the backyard and asked us to move. We have until Aug.1 st
The pen is on a concrete slab, so there is no damage to the yard. He's just citing local laws and there's a possibility he may notify the authorities.
This is heartbreaking as I have grown attached to "Cookie" and "Candy". I have been looking for a more rural location for months and there's just nothing around here. I may have to give them away. Even worse, I only know one lady who keeps chickens. She only keeps them for about a year and then, well you know the rest.

Last edited:
If you have to move anyway, why not just go ahead and find a more rural location where you can keep your chicks and even get more? Just remember, everything happens for a reason; maybe you weren't meant to stay there, but instead you were meant to find a place you AND your chicks can be happy!
hugs.gif

I hope you find a place that you can keep your little girls. I know how hard it is. That really stinks about the property manager. I guess hes afraid of getting cited (sp). I always say, with everyone around the country getting into chickens, whats the big deal? I have a problem keeping mine, and the ACO coming over. I just keep mine in, until around 4 o'clock, then bring them back in around 8 for the night. I love my girls just like you. Heres hoping for a good outcome for all of you.
fl.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Quote:
Sorry you are having this issue.
Check your rental agreement, and then check the local ordinances on your own. Go see them or find it on the internet. You cannot rely on what someone else tells you, you must verify it yourself. That is crucial, since people give out misinformation all the time.

And go ahead and look for another place, look hard! We found our house by just driving around, it wasn't advertised anywhere, just a sign on the corner.

Good luck, don't give up hope!
fl.gif

Keep looking and ask everyone you know to ask around- there has to be something! If not, they're legal in Lawrence, KS, and we have lots of neat places!!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes,suggestions, and support.
I took a risk getting the hens and I really do enjoy tending to them. It brings out my inner farmer! Most folks don't understand my new chicken obsession, but I know the folks on BYC totally know where I'm coming from:)

Where are you located? A lot of people just assume you can't have chickens in town, and don't even bother to check the law. I'm was in a pretty big town (Tulsa, OK) and we were allowed 6 adult and 14 babies. No one in the neighborhood had any idea they were allowed! LOL! I had no problems. I would definitely check it out!

Shelly

If worse comes to worse, where do you live ? Maybe someone here can help you out.

I have a great landlord, if anything goes wrong with the house, he gets it taken care of immediately.......

However, I don't know if he would like knowing I have chickens !

fl.gif

Quote:
Before we ever went to look at our new house, I asked the landlord's wife if chickens would be a problem. Her exact words were, "Chickens would be PERFECT for this property!" Needless to say, I was thrilled!

Well, I know he knows I have one chicken, a hen, I had her when I moved in.

But, 50+ others . . . .

He owns many properties, he is retired and all he does is manage his rental properties. I called him this spring and told him if he had a property come up that had a little land that I could keep my horses on ? He said he does and there is a possibility that it will be available this fall !
wee.gif

I am sure that if it is a neighborhood that allows horses and dogs, they won't mind "a few" chickens !
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom