Moving eggs from cabinet incubator to styrofoam for lockdown?

seventreesfarm

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2012
Everson, WA
I can't find the threads on here I've read before about using a foam bator for hatching, so hopefully someone can share their experience again.

I have been using a homebuilt wine cooler cabinet incubator for a while now, adding hatch baskets at lockdown. This time I'm doing a much bigger hatch and it might be crowded once it's lockdown time. I'm wondering if it's worth dragging my old LG out to handle overflow, but can't recall if other flocksters had good hatch rates doing this.

The LG has a fan, and the crappy dial type temp adjuster. I've got plenty of time to get it up & running though, and I'd probably put my less-critical eggs in it and keep my project specials in the cabinet bator just in case.

Opinions?

I run 3 cabinets and 5 hatchers plus 3 Genesis 1588's for overflow. I only run up until lockdown in the cabinets and then move to the hatchers for the final days and hatching. This lets me stagger hatches if I need to plus I'm never messing with humidity trying to raise and lower. I've had very good success using this method.

I run 3 cabinets and 5 hatchers plus 3 Genesis 1588's for overflow. I only run up until lockdown in the cabinets and then move to the hatchers for the final days and hatching. This lets me stagger hatches if I need to plus I'm never messing with humidity trying to raise and lower. I've had very good success using this method.
Cool!
That's good news. My cabinet bator is really steady, and I get great hatch rates using it from start to finish, but it's a relief to know that going to foam for hatching is a good option too. It's been a while since I used the LG, but I had good results once I figured out to wrap the seam with saran. That really helped keeping the temp & humidity stable.

Back
Top Bottom