Moving from crumb to pellets

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
Hello,

I started my quail chicks on super starter crumb which was around 27% protein. Now that they are exactly 1 month old it has conveniently run out. The store i bought it from does not have it in stock. I was looking to move to quail grower pellets but that was also not in stock. The only 2 things in stock are poultry chick crumb (19% protein + other stuff) or quail breeder pellets (19.5% protein + other stuff).

Which one should i start the quail on ? As far as i have researched, the breeder pellets probably contain more calcium so i should give the poultry chick crumb for the next 3-4 weeks which should be 'good enough' and then move over to the breeder pellets ?

Any advice is appreciated thanks !

So what do you advise for the next 2 weeks or so. I guess poultry chick crumb is the way to go ?

So what do you advise for the next 2 weeks or so. I guess poultry chick crumb is the way to go ?
I would keep them on the game bird starter for the next couple of weeks. It won't hurt to get another bag. I little longer on game bird starter won't hurt them and will help them get bigger.

Hmm, the store i bought it from does not have it in stock. I will try and look around but it is difficult to buy here in the UK.

I share your pain. Our store runs out of gamebird crumble too. This month they also ran out of layer crumble.

If I can't get gamebird crumble, I usually pick the highest protein crumble I can find and supplement with mealworms and peanuts. They don't grow as fast as with the gamebird crumble, but they manage.

For the adults, this month, because I couldn't get the layer crumble, I got pellets. I crumble it much as I can in my hands and the adults are able to eat the pellets. (They'd probably be able to eat the full size pellets as well; they swallow large bugs, after all.)

I've been following some of the commodities trends. I don't want to start a panic, but it might be a good idea to pick up an extra bag as backup when you see it in the store. It's a global supply chain issue.

If they don't have the starter crumble see if they have a meat bird crumble. Its usually in the the 22% range. I accidently bought the pellets once and my adult quail couldn't eat them. I had to smash them with a hammer to get them small enough.

I was in a similar situation and used 20% unmedicated chick feed. Worked out really well - no issues everyone is happy and healthy. It is a little early to give them layer's pellets, so the 19% chick feed would work. I just supplemented with egg yolk and bugs for extra protein with mine.

Back
Top Bottom