Moving hens to new hen house previously occupied. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kristenm1975, Aug 25, 2008.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    So I've been lucky enough to find 5 wonderful acres out in the country on Whidbey Island in WA state, PLUS the place already has an established chicken coop and run. The previous flock of about 20 hens and 1 roo will have vacated the morning before we move mine in. Is there anything I should do to ensure the health of my hens, both during the move itself and once they arrive at their new place?

Thanks!!

2. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Whoa! Lucky you finding a place in such a beautiful area! DH was born at the Naval Base there. We went and visited the area a few years ago...

As far as getting the coop ready for your birds, I don't have enough experience to give any suggestions, but I'm sure there are others that can help.

Good luck!

3. son-n-lawschicks

son-n-lawschicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Leesville,LA
    spray the whole pen down with clorox and water to kill any germs or diseases that may still be living there. it could save you alot of headache, trust me i know.

4. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:I can't help with the moving except that if yer movin them a short distance i would definately do it in the dark at night and handle them very gently and slowly.
    As for the new coop, i would go there a few days prior and clean and sweep it then dust the entire thing in and out with sevin.I would then add all new bedding.The sevin will not harm your birds at all.
    Once you move them, if yer gonna let 'em free range, keep 'em in the coop fer about 2 weeks before letting them loose. 2 weeks is a bit extreem but it will insure that they know thier new place and will go back to it at the end of the day.

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Well, this is what I would do, even if it meant my birds lived in a dog crate for a couple of days until I prepared the new area. I would thoroughly clean (with the bleach) everything twice.....replace all the bedding in coop and also nesting boxes (but you probably already know that) and add some DE to nesting boxes along with nesting material.

Not sure what is on the bottom of the run, but a thorough cleaning or digging out of that as well.

Others may be able to add more. Beautiful area....please post pictures when you move them in and let us know how it goes. Lucky chickens to be going with you.

Anne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by