Help with hens who won't submit to roo

starleta

Hatching
Nov 4, 2023
Hi everyone, we really need advice from someone who has handled integration of older birds into a flock with rooster. Our two sweet buff orpies are 20 months old. Orginally, it was just the two, plus one rhode island red. In February, we introduced 9 chicks we had brooded inside, and one of them was a cockerel. Because the pullets outnumbered the existing flock, the intro was very easy for them, but trouble started when the roo started mating.

The rhode island red immediately submitted to him and became the queen of the flock and is top of the pecking order. The two buff orpies on the other hand fell quickly down the pecking order. One of them (Goldie) started getting aggressive toward the rooster when he would try to mount her, and so he started punishing her...chasing her off from the flock and making sure she didn't get food or treats. Meanwhile, the other buffy (Gertie) went broody, and since it was her fourth time doing so, we decided to let her hatch the eggs.

Suddenly we wake up to Goldie with an almost fatal injury to her neck; she was hiding in the coop completely ripped open. We immediately isolated her and with amazing luck, we were able to save her! Meanwhile, since Gertie had stopped moving around to sit on eggs, she got mites. So rather than let the mites spread from her nesting box to the whole flock, we made the decision to put both buff orpies into their own coop to mother the chicks.

Flash forward to today. Last night we put the four pullets and two buff orpies - our second flock - into the coop of the primary flock so that they'd all wake up together today to begin the permanent integration. It was going well under mid-afternoon, when suddenly Mr. Roo is trying to mount Gertie, chasing her all over. He gets on top of her, and then two of his hens (the queen and the next in line after roo) start attacking her face while he holds her down. Took hubby three attempts to get them off her. She's now isolated in their separate yard. Two hours later, he goes after Goldie. Hubby has great dominence over the roo, so he just picked him up and held him until he felt he'd learned his lesson. But now we're terrified for both of our buffy girls once again. The pullets are totally fine...just the older hens are being targeted.

We both feel that these two will never submit to a roo after their traumas so far...it seemed clear Goldie remembers him from the previous attack. We don't want to get rid of our roo....he's really really good with his existing flock and seems he will be to the pullets too. Ok, FINALLY our question:

Can hubby be the rooster to these two hens, thereby making our rooster leave them alone forever? Can he be taught to leave alone just two gals in the flock? ANY sage advice is appreciated!!

No to both questions. Did you do a soft integration for a couple weeks of look but no touch.
Sounds to me like your cockerel is going to force the older girls to submit or he'll drive them out.
And 'his' girls are not liking him mating the older ones, so they are attacking. I would separate the 2 groups and do look but no touch in a couple weeks.

Edited to ask.... ages of all birds? How big is the coop and run?

Here's another thought. Separate little man and introduce the pullets to the hens and see how that goes? He really shouldn't be in with pullets before they start laying because he's maturing faster and mating them before they are of age.
You could also try introducing just him to the hens. And hopefully they'll teach him manners.
Couple different options to try....

No to both questions. Did you do a soft integration for a couple weeks of look but no touch.
Sounds to me like your cockerel is going to force the older girls to submit or he'll drive them out.
And 'his' girls are not liking him mating the older ones, so they are attacking. I would separate the 2 groups and do look but no touch in a couple weeks.

Edited to ask.... ages of all birds? How big is the coop and run?
Details to answer all your questions:

-Primary flock (cockerel included) are all 9 months old except for the queen hen, who is 20 months
-The 2 buff orpingtons are also 20 months
-The 4 chicks being raised by the buffies are 12 weeks

We did soft introduction over the past 3-4 weeks with the secondary flock by letting them free range along the fence of the primary flock's yard.

The last 2 days before we put the secondary flock on the roosting bar last night we let both flocks free range together without issue. They just ignored each other both days.

The main chicken yard (connected to the run/coop) provides around 400-500 square feet per bird. The coop itself is 4x8'.

I like your ideas of doing separate introductions for the girls and the boy in the main flock. The top 2 girls from the main flock were feisty as soon as they came out of the coop this morning and saw the buffies. Those 2 may need a time out. The other 7 girls showed no signs of aggression.

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this!

Best I can really answer is try it one way and if that don't work try it another. But I think your cockerel is your common denominator for your problem. I think I would separate him out and reintroduce all the girls together out free ranging for a week or so and see how that goes.
Everyone's trying to establish pecking orders and throwing him in the mix could be causing all the stress. Keep us posted which way you go. Hopefully it'll settle down for you.

Back
Top Bottom