Moving - how to decide which chickens to take…

MTR

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
So we decided to move. We are most liked going to sell our house and move to a large property that we are getting a hood rent deal on. So I have decisions to make.
We have about a 35 chicken mixed flick.
#1- do I take any of my chickens. I wound up getting Mareks disease in my flock so I started getting all vaccinated birds and haven’t lost any to Mareks since. Should I just start over new with healthy birds?
#2- if I do how do you decide. I have some birds I like their personality. Some I like their look. Some the egg color… I have a fantastic blue Wyandotte rooster that is perfect.
I’m kind of mixed in my feelings. Excited about my opportunity but no matter what I’ll be leaving birds I enjoy.

How you're saying Marek's is in your flock, I think you should just plain start over. Brand new chicks with new coop and supplies. Then you won't have to worry about any new birds getting it. ;) I'd find this as a great opportunity to restart a "Healthy" flock. :D

I had to restart my flock about a year ago. It was hard the few months of having nothing. Then I got some new healthy mixed flock for a great deal. It was hard, but I discovered restarting all over helped a lot. I had mystery illnesses and other things effecting my flock, with some of the things I didn't even know about. After I restarted, I discovered these things and what a blessing it was TO restart.

Adding, another thing about restarting. My Mom has been house shopping for years. One of the issues, though maybe it's not a problem for you, is most places aren't already set up for chickens yet. Still having your flock will comlacate things making it more work and time to move.

I wound up getting Mareks disease in my flock so I started getting all vaccinated birds and haven’t lost any to Mareks since.
That doesn't mean they are not still carrying the disease.

I’ll be leaving birds I enjoy
"Leaving" them?
Anyone who has these birds needs to know they have Mareks.

How you're saying Marek's is in your flock, I think you should just plain start over. Brand new chicks with new coop and supplies. Then you won't have to worry about any new birds getting it. ;) I'd find this as a great opportunity to restart a "Healthy" flock.

This.

"Leaving" them?
Anyone who has these birds needs to know they have Mareks.

And this.

Additionally, if you bring your infected birds to a new area you could introduce a new strain of Marek's to that area and contribute to the infection of flocks in that area.

I just read this informative article on Marek's: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-i-learned-to-deal-with-mareks-disease.76944/

Based on that info, I suggest a complete cull and replace and that you bag up and dispose of all equipment.

I would add I’ve decided to start over. I’m not throwing away all my stuff either. I’m going to soak all my plastic waterers, feeders, etc… in a strong bleach solution. The idea that this wouldn’t work would mean I’d literally have to throw away everything I own - which is not happening.

Marek's virus lives a very long time, and is dust, dander, and feathers. Be VERY careful about anything you take with you, and your barn shoes and clothes, and car tires, everything, needs to be sanitized, so nothing from your current property brings bad stuff to your new ground.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom