moving incubator with eggs in it

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
I asked this in the incubating section and saw no response.

21 duck eggs, 4 bantam chicken eggs in the bator at preschool. Due to hatch Wed, 25 April. I'm not in school next week. This has been my project with the kids and the other teachers don't really know what to do with it.
Should I just bring them home with me Friday?
Hook up the webcam at home and make sure there's a functional laptop at school on the webcam page.

If I have to help with hatching, I also have no clue, but I can figure it out if need be and not have to worry about a class full of 3-5 year olds while I'm at it.
I live 35 mins from school. I can transport them in the turner in the incubator and plug them in at home. Might be able to plug them in on the ride home too - we have that converter somewhere in the garage.

Is it safe to bring them home right before lockdown?
35 mins too long without the incubator plugged in?

Make sure they are well padded for the trip, rest flat on the trip, andi you can plug in for the ride even better. Otherwise get some of hunting hand Warner's (Walmart) put them inside, cover with a blanket and take them home if you need to.

However once in lockdown the teachers need to do nothing but let them hatch. The kids can see them, and you aren't that far away that you could just go in that day or the next and pick them up and get them into a brooder.

Not sure, sorry-

I would think a closed incubator wrapped in a towel would be fine for 35ish minutes.

Why can't you teach someone what needs to be done or not done in this case while you are away.

Isn't watching them hatch the point?

otherwise you could incubate sterile eggs and just buy day old chicks one day?

(we had teachers have to do this in kindergarten with regular hatching eggs)

These guys have had a few near misses already and if I'm not in the room, it will likely be my co-teacher on her own with a rearranged class to make up for ratio and she'll have 18 kids instead our normal 22, mostly older. But 1 of the younger ones she will have is one that has caused some of the previous problems. He has no concept of "don't touch, just look"
The one teacher I was counting on to take care of things I was told to not count on as she's overwhelmed already.

I just want these suckers to hatch without any more issues. Next Wed can't come soon enough (though it can, the point of not being at school next week is to take a week off and be away from there!)

Still undecided on what to do with this.

not sure- at that point I would have taken the real incubator home already and just brought (or plan to bring) day old chicks on the right day - this is also one of the reasons that Duval county does not allow hatching in class anymore.

I would not be out on the week of hatch, you worked with it this far - there was a risk of having delicate eggs around young children bumping things, power outages, and opened incubators (all of which happened on the hatch I was supposed to get to watch in kindergarten) She checked one of the eggs (a babyfood jar sealed tight and shook to expose the fetus- I STILL remember this) when i was in the room, a fully formed but dead chick... (mom was a teacher in a different classroom so I was often very early to school) - the next day we were all told that they "hatched at night" and she had already cleaned up the incubator...

(they brooded in a large fish tank with a light on one end).

We watched them for a week then they 'went off to the farm'.

Back
Top Bottom