Moving long distance with livestock

I don't know how to move livestock long distance, but I wonder.... do Canadian provinces have laws about moving livestock across state lines, as we do here in the U.S.? It can be very tricky, and expensive if you aren't careful. For example, to take cattle across state lines from Missouri into Kansas, they must have a certain vaccination at a vet, with a certificate of proof. It's a $5000 fine per animal if you don't.

Prices went up a while ago. You're looking at an easy $300 for a 5lb bird.

Sorry if I was unclear.
I wasn't trying to suggest actually mailing the birds, just look at how people pack them for mailing--then use that information to pack them safely into boxes or dog crates or something, to travel in OP's own trailer or car.

I don't know how to move livestock long distance, but I wonder.... do Canadian provinces have laws about moving livestock across state lines, as we do here in the U.S.? It can be very tricky, and expensive if you aren't careful. For example, to take cattle across state lines from Missouri into Kansas, they must have a certain vaccination at a vet, with a certificate of proof. It's a $5000 fine per animal if you don't.
No..

Sorry if I was unclear.
I wasn't trying to suggest actually mailing the birds, just look at how people pack them for mailing--then use that information to pack them safely into boxes or dog crates or something, to travel in OP's own trailer or car.
That might work. I think the dog crate with straw is a good idea.

Here is some advice given to me by people who show a lot and travel long distances with a show string. One, drink a lot of water or soda pop. That way you will have to pee frequently and you can check the livestock then. Put ice in the water buckets. You can often unload and rest at fairgrounds.

Here is some advice given to me by people who show a lot and travel long distances with a show string. One, drink a lot of water or soda pop. That way you will have to pee frequently and you can check the livestock then. Put ice in the water buckets. You can often unload and rest at fairgrounds.
Smart! I love this a lot! Thank you for sharing

We’ve driven pretty far which each of you speech of except the horse. The goats did fine. The ducks and chickens were very messy. We layered cheap tarps. Then at one stop we’d pull out a top and they’d have fresh underneath them. We always stopped to make sure everyone had food and water. One time we stopped at a road side rest that had a car wash..so we washed the dirty tarps and the chicken poo out of the bottoms of cages where we could, just a bit. Sure, the drive took a few hours longer, but the animals did great because they had constant attention and distraction. I sat don’t downsize..just go for it..they are you birds...

We’ve driven pretty far which each of you speech of except the horse. The goats did fine. The ducks and chickens were very messy. We layered cheap tarps. Then at one stop we’d pull out a top and they’d have fresh underneath them. We always stopped to make sure everyone had food and water. One time we stopped at a road side rest that had a car wash..so we washed the dirty tarps and the chicken poo out of the bottoms of cages where we could, just a bit. Sure, the drive took a few hours longer, but the animals did great because they had constant attention and distraction. I sat don’t downsize..just go for it..they are you birds...
I like your thinking.

Back
Top Bottom