Moving mama hen/chicks to new coop?? Thoughts??

Yes! I moved them the next day, at 3 days old. They were in a hot, stuffy corner of the main coop, too crowded. It was quick, I put mama into a cat carrier, the chicks into a box, and quickly let them out in their spacious empty coop. Within minutes, they were happily stretching their legs and wings.
Now the chicks are 9 days old. I haven’t let them out into the attached run yet, it isn’t quite baby proof. The chicks are bantams and so tiny. I think I’ll finish it today. The coop is 16 sq ft and has a few things to climb on, and a big open door, wire mesh to keep them in for now. I have my chicken watching chair outside and sit there and enjoy them….This pic was taken at 1 week old. View attachment 3592376
View attachment 3592377
Mama will return to the main flock after she weans them. (I assume she will want to rejoin the flock.) The chicks will stay in this coop which they are now acclimated to. There are 6, but I will not keep more than one cockerel, I am planning for a little flock of 4. We shall see how that goes…..
Btw, she didn’t hatch these chicks. Her eggs had quit and I got these bantam EE chicks locally and slipped them under her two nights before I posted my question to you. She had only been broody 2 weeks. I wasn’t absolutely sure she’d adopt them, but was thrilled that she did! Moving them didn’t interfere with their bonding. It was a tense couple of days.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm glad the move was successful for your hen/chicks! My chicks are currently 3 weeks old and I'm sure that at this point they are pretty bonded to the main coop. I'm hoping the transition to the new coop will still go smoothly even if they are a few weeks old. I will try to post an update on this thread once I move them:)

Back
Top Bottom