Moving my 6 week old pullets into the coop with 3 1yr hens

mlinhares

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Cape May Court House, NJ
I currently have 3 1yr old RIR hens and recently added 4 EE and 4 NHR which are 6 weeks old. Temperatures at night are around 67-72 and during the date 75-85. I have the pullets in a fenced in area near the coop so the hens can see them and have been doing this every day for about 2 weeks. Now the Pullets are outgrowing the large tote in my garage that I have kept them in at night. I decided tonight to place them in the nesting boxes in the coop with the hens. I placed them in at dark so their was no problems. I plan on waking up before sunrise to check out how everyone made out through the night. Any one else introduce pullets to their hens this way? How did it turn out. I am a little afraid of what I might see tomorrow morning. I have heard horror stories.

Six weeks is too young.

The best age to integrate is 16 weeks or thereabouts. If you do it earlier you risk injury or death. RIRs can be a bit pecky too. I would be extra cautious with them. I would prepare a growout coop and run. It doesn't have to be fancy...you can build a simple structure with a bit of fencing around it for example. This is always helpful to have on hand, for buying new chicks yearly, or for a broody coop, or hospital.

Back
Top Bottom