1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving out of State with your Chickens!? How to....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChicknThief, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Hey guys. My family and I could be moving to Indiana from CA in the next several months, and we are not sure how to get our chickens there with us. Has anyone here moved out of state with their flock? How did you do it? How many chickens did you move? How much did it cost? Where did you go to get tested for pollorum? (sp) Thanks so much for any info or insight! Jess

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Well, in July I moved from Florida to Virginia. I just put them into dog crates - seperated by size/age/temperment. I moved my flock of 13 in 3 dog crates. They did great! It was a 16 hour ride. I had the crates in my van, which was on a car carrier behind the uhaul. We stopped for gas/rest every 3 hours. I did not "feed" them the entire time, but just before leaving threw some feed along the flood of the crates for pecking. All are hail and hearty, I even took my incubator with 6 eggs, and hatched out 1 baby!!! Not bad odds at all!!!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, you'll be much closer to me, then, Jess!

4. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    We moved from New Hampshire to Washington State. I mailed the chickens I kept to my aunt and she kept them for me until we got here. It worked out well. It took us driving with the horse trailer 5 days to go accross the country, so mailing them was a lot easier on us and them I think. [​IMG]
    I mailed 6 chickens, no test, and it cost $90. I had them in 2 boxes taped together. They arrived in 2 days all fine. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  5. mariam

mariam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Taos, NM
    I am moving from VA to NM in late November/December and plan to put my chickens in crates and put them in the back of the u-haul. I'm worried about the it getting too cold. Does anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions? Not sure what I need to be considering besides this.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Mariam I would be worried about ventilation and fresh air for them to breathe if they are in the back of a u-haul truck or trailer.

7. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I moved from the Central Valley(Hilmar) with all my animals to South Carolina when both the temperatures were 100+ both here and there. I used open wire crates and Dry Wall Mud pans for feed and water cable tied to the sides. I put evert thing Horses , dogs, cats, and the 200+ chickens into one Semi Trailer and sent them off. Everything traveled very well and arrived safely 3 days later. I would be more worried about the air flow to the birds than the cold as long as it is not cold enough to freeze them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by