Moving pigeons with babies

tigertusk

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Texas
I had to put a new roof on my loft and improve predator proofing which turned into a much bigger, better project with lots of nest boxes, etc...but in the meantime,during construction, my pigeons started hanging out on my enclosed balcony. I leave the door open a bit for them. I gave them some cardboard boxes and they have now had babies in there. They are free to come and go. But now I want them to see that their loft is again habitable.I can get them at night when they are on their nests and put them into loft but I am afraid they will abandon their babies if I move their boxes. What to do? They have been evicted from loft for three months now. Any advice is appreciated. I have only about ten birds.

Last edited:
I can get them at night when they are on their nests and put them into loft but I am afraid they will abandon their babies if I move their boxes. What to do? They have been evicted from loft for three months now. Any advice is appreciated.
Moving babies is a worry-some project. I have cleaned a nest area once and had the parents abandon their squabs. Personally I would wait as long as possible (just before the parents start a new clutch) and move them then. Even at that you may end up hand feeding the squabs.

Back
Top Bottom