Moving rooster

Kayanne

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2016
I have just found a new home for my rooster. I now need some advice on how to transport him there. I am assuming that it should be done at night. He weighs about 10 pounds.

I have no experience with roosters and OMG 10 pounds
ep.gif

If you can handle him, it would seem you could place him in a dog crate or carrier and transport anytime as long as it's not a really long trip?
Or ask the folks to come and get him?

I use wire dog crates...easiest to grab them off roost the night before moving to crate them.
Getting him out of crate into new home is another story...
......best if you can just open door to crate in his new pen.
Good Luck!

I do the majority of moving birds after dusk.

I'm too unhealthy to be chasing chickens.

After dusk, they're roosting. I can walk right up to them, hold the body firmly and lift them off the roost.

If you have a rooster that's been aggressive, or you're afraid he may be, use a towel or some such to cover his head.

The key is so be sure and confident. Don't dither around, or feint at him. Just be matter of fact, firm and get it done. You don't need to spend time soothing him, sweet talking him, explaining what's going on, etc. Trust me, that's not going to matter to him one bit.

I've had folks bring pretty much any type of container you can imagine to transport chickens. Dog/cat kennels to cardboard boxes, sacks, plastic totes, etc. One guy just let them loose in the car....not advised!!!!!!

We "rehomed" 6 roosters yesterday or I should say last night. A family member came by after work to get them. We sat on the porch visiting and drinking coffee until a few minutes after sunset. It wasn't pitch black but we did have to use flashlights to identify which birds to take. Grabbed them by the legs from underneath the roost and put then in a small brooder box I built last year. Done in less than 5 minutes. For most of them it was the first time they had been touched by humans.

If you are scared, and if you have been attacked, well that is reasonable, try this. Wearing long sleeves, such as a thick hoody or sweat shirt, go down in the dark, and either prop your flashlight so that it shines on the floor in the corner, just giving you enough light to see. Take a bath towel, grasping towards the end in a hand, flip the middle over his head, while reaching firmly with each hand to each side of his body over his wings. Press tightly and remove from the roost. Slip him into the container.

Mrs K

I had to rehome three and we just put them in a cardboard box. They were not as big as yours though. Wish I had thought about crating them at night. Hubby had a time getting them out of coop.

Back
Top Bottom