Moving The Broody?

Firearia

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I have a broody hen who decided to jam herself in the hay storage area, about five feet down. Needless to say, she's hard to get to. I know I have to move her eventually, is there a too late or a too early to do so? She's about a week and a half along sitting on the eggs.

Good luck---I've had very little success with this. They say that moving them after dark is the best option. Have another dark, secure place set up and ready to go.

Be careful and watch carefully when moving her. I tried moving my broody and she didn't like the spot I moved her to, so she abandoned the eggs and went to the old nest. With a few adjustments I was able to move her back and she accepted it.

FYI - the nest I moved her to was shorter (height) than where she had been. I opened the top of it and she accepted it once her eggs were there. It was a good thing I checked on her every 10-20 minutes at that point, being so excited I had a broody. The eggs never had a chance to fully cool after she started sitting on them. Today I've got 8 of 9 hatched and the last is pipped - we'll see if it makes it out; today is day 2 of hatching.

Can you build a cage in front of her with some chicken wire or whatever. Put bedding down for her to dump on and add a feeder and waterer and you're all set.

My hens usually go broody in one of only three nest boxes so I move them! Some are OK with a cardboard box and chicken wire setup in the coop while some I have to move to a rabbit hutch in the barn away from the general population. Nighttime seems to work the best as they wake up and seem to say "This isn't half bad...think I'll stay put!" I've had 3 broodies this year. Three chicks from the 1st hatch, 5 this week, and a girl sitting on 6 more eggs! We have had a good spring despite all the rain...garden isn't planted yet but atleast I have babies! Good Luck to you and enjoy the babies!

Okay, do you think perhaps putting her in a dog crate and moving her inside would be okay? She's never laid her eggs in the nest boxes, just the storage thing, so I doubt she'd be very happy in a nest box.

Quote:
Problem is it's a very tight space, probably about 1X2 feet, so I can't really place much more in there.

Back
Top Bottom