Moving The Ducks

RitzyBud

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Maine
Hello all, I have 4 ducklings and 1 gosling. 2 Saxony and 2 Cayugas.
On Wednesday they will all be 3 weeks old and I wanted to know when they could be moved outside into a pen ( with a house of course) and be shut into their house at night with a heat lamp. I live in Maine, there is no snow on the ground, temps are running from 50-60 during the day (sometimes 45) and around 28-30 degrees at night. I had planned to move them out into a pen next week when they turn 4 weeks but wasn't sure if that's to early for them or not.

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
11 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
Security, temperature, water and food are the things they need. Do you know how warm your heater can keep the space when it's cold?

And the space is predator-proof?

RitzyBud

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Maine
Heater can keep it around 85 degrees in an enclosed area, the coop is also insulated.
We don't get any wild animals around here, just a few stray cats. But yes, it is predator proof.

willowbirdks

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Hi! I'm in Maine too, so I'm interested in the responses you receive here. :) I'm a first-time duck owner, and mine are a little over a week old. I have been jokingly saying that I plan to put them out with the tomato plants, by which I mean after Memorial Day. I'm thinking 5-6 weeks old, but maybe that's on the late side.

RitzyBud

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Maine
Hi! I'm in Maine too, so I'm interested in the responses you receive here. :) I'm a first-time duck owner, and mine are a little over a week old. I have been jokingly saying that I plan to put them out with the tomato plants, by which I mean after Memorial Day. I'm thinking 5-6 weeks old, but maybe that's on the late side.

I was thinking 5 weeks old too, but the thing is, I have a gosling and they're all in a 13 inch high plastic storage tote in my bedroom, their bodies fit but within the next week or two they definitely won't be fitting in there! I suppose i'll keep them in there as long as they fit comfortably and than move them out when they don't. I'll post pictures when I move them out and let everyone know how old they are when I move them
1f424.png

willowbirdks

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
I was thinking 5 weeks old too, but the thing is, I have a gosling and they're all in a 13 inch high plastic storage tote in my bedroom, their bodies fit but within the next week or two they definitely won't be fitting in there! I suppose i'll keep them in there as long as they fit comfortably and than move them out when they don't. I'll post pictures when I move them out and let everyone know how old they are when I move them
1f424.png
I have to admit, I'm a little worried about the size of the brooder with mine, too. I have them in a kiddie pool currently, with a fence (from my rabbits) to build the walls up to the proper height. The temperature has been fine, but I'm thinking the floor space might get tough in the next few weeks. So I might end up with the same criteria you have as far as when to move them out. :)

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
11 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
I understand tight for space, but please, safety (predators will go to great lengths to get ducks or ducklings), appropriate temperature (without fire hazard), water and food.

TracyLovesDucks

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Northern Colorado
I moved my runners outside to their duck house at 4 weeks. The duck house has a dirt floor and is not insulated. I kept a heat lamp on for them at night, because here in CO nights still get into the 30s. As long as there isn't a draft in their new home, I bet they'll be alright with a heat lamp (PLUS everything Amiga said!). In fact, we are getting four more ducklings this week and I plan to keep them in my house for only three to four days before moving them out to the duck house with a heat lamp.

RitzyBud

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Maine
I promise there won't be a single spot for any preator to get in there :)
I understand tight for space, but please, safety (predators will go to great lengths to get ducks or ducklings), appropriate temperature (without fire hazard), water and food.

Top Bottom