[Moving the Flock] Best practices?

BrahmaMama207

Songster
5 Years
Sep 26, 2018
Portland, ME
Hello, my fellow poultry passionistas!

We bought a new home only 5m up the road and are working on making the transition as smooth as possible for our flock of 7 ladies.

I'm here to ask your help. What else should we consider? What has worked well before?

Here's the plan so far:
  1. I'm babying the chickens with mush and vitamins and ice cubes in the water on hot days, to keep them strong for what will no doubt stress them out: The Move
  2. We're moving the coop and run - via trailer - to the new house
  3. I'll crate the chickens in groups of 2-3, so they have a buddy for the drive
  4. While the coop and run are being re-built on the new property (2 - 6 hours), the girls will be enclosed in electric fence
[Special issue] We're still working up to full integration of the 3 pullets (13 weeks) into the flock of 2-yr old hens. Some success overnighting, but violence of the blood-drawing variety has occurred within hours of integration on each attempt. Integration is great while ranging, but not in the run yet. We gave it a rest for 3 weeks while getting the house ready to sell and showing. Will begin again today.

[Side Issue/ Hopes and Dreams] So, my hope is that the new environment will be so distracting, that I can get away with one temporary pen for all 7 ladies on moving day. Additionally, I hope the move will cause a stir large enough to shake up the pecking order. Maybe the move will accelerate their integration?

What can I do to be well prepared for this move and support not just the health of my flock, but also the social integration of the flock?

Thank you! 🤗
0430201221a_HDR.jpg

Sound like a good plan. I just moved my flock 12 miles to our new home. I would hold off on integrating for a day. I had the same thought you did for my 3 ladies and the others were so freaked they went right after the new ladies. Good luck.

We just moved my chickens in dog crates and then put them gently in the new coop and they were fine (these were older chickens)

Back
Top Bottom