1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving them in...pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shakecc, Jul 19, 2008.

1. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    Well instead of buildling a new coop, my husband and I decided to section a 8' x 4' section of our garden shed to turn into a coop. Keeping in mind we have NO construction experience we were truely winging it! We kept a sense of humor and muddle through and are pretty proud of ourselves! My only concern is the size...I hope it is going to be large enough for our 7 chicks. Today is their first day in the coop. Now to start on the run...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    You guys did a fantastic job!!! [​IMG] If the chicks look to cramped, in the future you can always add on. [​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just thinking that if you added a couple of shelves the birds would roost on them and that it would add to your 'floor space' and make cleaning easier...a well-thought out space and itn't it nice when it's pristine?

A sense of humor? Well, it's the most important thing! The chicks are pretty amusing! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Wow! For winging it you guys did a fantastic job!! Kudos to you both - especially for keeping a sense of humor. [​IMG]

Your chickens should be very comfortable and happy. That size shed is just fine for your seven chickens. If, oops, sorry - WHEN you get more chickens you will need a larger coop.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    That looks great!! Even for someone WITH building experience! [​IMG] Way to go.

6. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I like that a lot! So bright and clean too
    [​IMG]

7. DWavs

DWavs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Looks great!

Do you have an exterior window on the opposite side of the nesting boxes? Can get pretty hot in a garden shed.

Well done!

8. shakecc

shakecc Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Central OH
    There is a window opposite the boxes and another opposite the feeder. We have been surprised with how cool the shed stays, but we have still have ordered a solar vent fan to install in hopes draw air through for added ventilation. I sure hope it does not get to hot!

9. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Very nice coop, that looks kinda like mine where I used half of my shed also.

10. angels4

angels4 Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks great...[​IMG] I actually thought of doing the same thing, but because I store my lawnmower and gasoline in the shed I thought the fumes might cause the chickens to become ill, so I went a another way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by