Moving to coop

grant96782

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2018
Pearl City, Hawaii
I just moved my six week old chicks to the coop. I currently have the lamp on and was wondering if this is necessary. The temperature at night is in the mid to high sixties. Daytime is in the mid to high seventies. Also I am currently feeding and watering in the coop and had them in the run today but I was reading and decided to leave them in the coop for several days to get in the habit of roosting there. Any feedback will help.

How many chicks? At 6wks they may not roost yet, it was months before my BO roosted. They slept in a corner of their Enclosure "forever". Couldn't wait for them to roost, I have a Poop Board under the roost & so much easier cleaning that PM poop!

Have you read about the heating pad method? I love it, works great, less chance of fire & chicks are calmer & quieter. If they're fully feathered, they'll be fine as long as it's not drafty & dry...You could do a "huddle" box.

They were already sleeping away from the heat lamp in the brooder. Ive seen them roost but not on a consistent basis. They tend to sleep like humans. All laid out which I think is funny. Im sure they will be fine without the lamp at night. I was just wondering if it had some other significance to the transition.

How many chicks? At 6wks they may not roost yet, it was months before my BO roosted. They slept in a corner of their Enclosure "forever". Couldn't wait for them to roost, I have a Poop Board under the roost & so much easier cleaning that PM poop!

Have you read about the heating pad method? I love it, works great, less chance of fire & chicks are calmer & quieter. If they're fully feathered, they'll be fine as long as it's not drafty & dry...You could do a "huddle" box.
Btw what's a huddle box?

I was thinking they'd be fine without the lamp, we're in HI :lau Chicks are the best gauges as to what they need. Huddle box is just a box with an entrance cut out that they can get into. That way their body heat will keep them warm but like I said, we're in HI so I know it's not needed. Yup, they are fun and funny.

There is a Backyard Chicken Hawaii on FB if you're interested. There's also a Hawaii forum here. Welcome to BYC, you're going to find how GREAT it's Members are; helpful, informative & experienced.

I was thinking they'd be fine without the lamp, we're in HI :lau Chicks are the best gauges as to what they need. Huddle box is just a box with an entrance cut out that they can get into. That way their body heat will keep them warm but like I said, we're in HI so I know it's not needed. Yup, they are fun and funny.

There is a Backyard Chicken Hawaii on FB if you're interested. There's also a Hawaii forum here. Welcome to BYC, you're going to find how GREAT it's Members are; helpful, informative & experienced.
Lol! Thats right. I forgot about FB. Im in that group. Thanks. Maybe ill see u there.

Back
Top Bottom