moving to Sudbury, Ontario... advice on chickens and bears?

dirigible

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 21, 2011
Hi, all.
I've seen a few people on here from Sudbury, Ontario and the area... does anyone have any advice on keeping bears away from chickens? I don't have any chickens yet, but we're moving a little out of town and will have the room. I'm concerned that bears will be an issue.
(Sorry--realize now that this should be in the Predators and Pests forum...)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have tons of bears around my chickens. I just built a large enclosed run. Bears aren't the only thing to worry about in the sudbury area, there are bobcats, lynx, foxes, wolves, those are some of the larger ones, don't get me started on the smaller ones which by the way it is likely you will have more issues with those than bears.

I am also in northern ontario btw.

if you are planning on free ranging your hens I would advise you do it when you can watch them, we have lots of prey birds too. if not free ranging or plan what to do what I do, build them an enclosed run and allow them to free range when you are out there. then lock them up tight at night and remove the feeders away from the chicken run/coop.

My girls have an in-barn coop. at night they all go in and there are two pop doors leading into their coop. both in the same place. I screw the outside one shut and then the inside one too. the main door is latched from the outside at the very top too.

I have dogs too so they tend to keep the bears on their toes. however in august-october bears use my driveway and the side of the yard where the coop/run is to get back into the woods, its like their personal travel highway, they walk right in front of the run and never bother the girls. however I am sure if food was lacking hey would more than likely be looking for an easy meal. but by this time they rather save their energy and not have to work too much for their food. Hence why I have loads of berry bushes in the very back of the land, they can go sit there and eat, to their hearts content and not bother my animals.

I wouldn't worry too much about the whole bears thing, I would just make sure the coop is built securely, the run is strong and covered and you remove the food at night. Do not leave out garbage at night outside EVER, and never fill bird feeders (wild birds) in the summer. I only fill mine in the winter. the first summer I filled them and had bears ripping them down to eat the feed since I stopped filling them in the summer, no issues. and int he winter I get tons of birds.

if you don't have dogs, get one when you move there, and not a little one get a big one, build a dog run and his or her barking while out there along with his/her scent will keep the bears away.

To be honest I think they would be more interested in the chicken feed then the chickens... so keep the feed locked up at night.

Also to avoid attracting them in the first place...No BBQ's, garbage or recycle bins on the deck around the house or coop, these must be stored indoors in bear country.

Bird feeders must be emptied and removed too. Mine are down before end of March.

I also believe dogs are great( I have seven) but to be honest most bears that have routine contact with them get used to them. That said I would not live out in the bush without some dogs.

Get a 12gauge shotgun, slugs and or buckshot. This is another thing I would not live without in the bush. I keep one handy in the spring, (perfectly legal to do so too as well as discharge it where I live) this is when I have the most bear contact .

The gun is a last resort but is in my mind a must have item for rural living. 911 is not option where I live. If the situation is that serious that I need 911 waiting 45min to an hour for the police to show up, isn't going to help me.

I have never had to dispatch a bear however if the time came not having firearm could result in large amount of property damage, serious injuries or even death. Not trying to create fear here but bears are very unpredictable and extremely strong creatures, they are also very fast and agile.

Get a firearm and learn how to use it. I taught my wife to shoot/operate mine and while it is uncomfortable for her it could save her life one day.

I have had mothers and cubs and single boars on my deck and at my front door it's an impressive sight to see what I consider the top of the food chain(next to a pack of wolves) in my neck of the woods, up close.

I honestly think you will lose chickens to just about every other predator around, long before a bear hits your coop.

I'm getting chickens this spring and to be honest bears are the last critter I'm worried about getting my chickens.

It's the eagles, hawks, owls, weasels, martin, mink, skunk, coon, fox, yotes, and roaming pet dogs I'm worried about.

GOOD LUCK.

welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from BC, Canada to another Canadian!

I'm from Campbell River B.C, its on Vancouver Island and we have serious black bears here. I just got chickens this spring and am also a little worried about the bears, I have a little coop and a coverd run though. I hope the bears dont take any of my girls!

I just got chickens this spring and already a bear is coming around being a real pain. Last night he ripped the side off the chicken run and pooped all over the yard. I don't understand why he is doing this as I keep all my food inside at night and there really is nothing out there for him to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can deter him or steer him clear of my yard?

I just got chickens this spring and already a bear is coming around being a real pain. Last night he ripped the side off the chicken run and pooped all over the yard. I don't understand why he is doing this as I keep all my food inside at night and there really is nothing out there for him to eat. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can deter him or steer him clear of my yard?
Put cayenne pepper out where the bear is visiting he’ll get a good sniff of that up its nose and he won’t be around anymore

Put cayenne pepper out and around where the bear is focused on one sniff off that up his nose and he wo t be hanging around very long

Back
Top Bottom