Moving to the country

We definately are quickly realizing what we have isnt big enough! plans are in the works to try and come up with something bigger by the weekend. Hardest part is with a cat and a dog keeping it somewhere easy to access (and much larger) but away from them. Thinking of just boxing in the laundry room with some plywood and letting them have all the floor space until big enough to go outside.

speaking of boxing. I have used a cardboard box as a brooder for each group of my chicks. They outgrow it, attach another or throw it out and get a longer one. So easy to take care of that way. My quail are currently set with the brooder plate on low heat so about 28C. The room temp at 25 and in this second week they are sleeping away from the heat. And they are teeny tiny.

you might not want to commit your laundry room until you get first hand experience on how much dust you can stand.

of course you have to keep the cats and dog away anyhow.

That picture is from before we moved the light up again this morning! It was creeping up to 40 as the outside temps keep raising this weekend, Now right under the light is at about 35c. They still keep going and sleep right under the light so I didnt want to make it took cold though!
That's too hot. It should be no higher than 32C / 90F for now.

Welcome to BYC! Brooding your first flock is stressful and a lot of learning. A brooder plate is a better alternative to the lamp. That way your wee ones can seek out warmth when they need it. The heat lamp in a small brooder can overheat them. Also, they make a lot of dust, so minimize the time you keep them inside your home.

Observing the chicks is the best way to guage the temp in your brooder. If they are huddled almost on top of each other directly under the light they are to cold. If they are all escaping the lamp and at the farthest reaches of the tote its to hot. You can raise and lower the lamp, but i just have a variety of bulbs i use. From 100 watt, 60 watt, down to a 45.
I even have a small 15 watt that i use for transition when they are put out in the coop. Not for heat but a comfort light to get them to come back in the coop at night.
I prefer the cardoard box over the plastic tote. Not enough venilation in the plastic tote and hotter.
Good luck with your chicks, and welcome to the backyard!

Back
Top Bottom