Moving turkey to a new location

Purplesmart

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2021
As per my previous thread, I'm getting my turkey tom a new mate. But it's a surprisingly hard thing to do, since a LOT of farms in my area stopped raising them due to covid.

Recently I've found someone who's willing to part with a hen, but it's a 3-4 year old.
  • Can a hen of such an advanced age even be moved to a new location and new flock, without it freaking out or becoming depressed?
  • I know their lifespan is between 5-10 years, so what are the odds that it doesn't die next year? He's already lost a mate, I don't want to string him along.
  • Would it even be suitable for my 1 year old tom?
My goal is to cheer up the little guy, keep them as pets. I don't want to breed or slaughter them.

A 3-4 year old turkey, that has been taken care of, is not old and could live for many more years. My midget white pair are a few years older and still produce many eggs and poults. I would not hesitate to get such a hen if she were healthy and robust.

As per my previous thread, I'm getting my turkey tom a new mate. But it's a surprisingly hard thing to do, since a LOT of farms in my area stopped raising them due to covid.

Recently I've found someone who's willing to part with a hen, but it's a 3-4 year old.
  • Can a hen of such an advanced age even be moved to a new location and new flock, without it freaking out or becoming depressed?
  • I know their lifespan is between 5-10 years, so what are the odds that it doesn't die next year? He's already lost a mate, I don't want to string him along.
  • Would it even be suitable for my 1 year old tom?
My goal is to cheer up the little guy, keep them as pets. I don't want to breed or slaughter them.
If you keep them together which is the point of getting a companion, you do not have a choice about them breeding. You don't have to allow the eggs to be hatched but you will not be able to prevent them breeding.

If you keep them together which is the point of getting a companion, you do not have a choice about them breeding. You don't have to allow the eggs to be hatched but you will not be able to prevent them breeding.
There seems to be a misunderstanding. I don't mind them doing whatever they do. I wrote that because hatching new poults is not a priority in this matter.

A 3-4 year old turkey, that has been taken care of, is not old and could live for many more years. My midget white pair are a few years older and still produce many eggs and poults. I would not hesitate to get such a hen if she were healthy and robust.
Thanks! That's good to know. But will she be alright going to a new home after all that time? I want a companion for my tom, but I don't want to harm the hen in the process either.

Back
Top Bottom