Moving with 16 chickens

The first thing is to find out if it's legal to move chickens through every state that you'll pass through -- not just the place you're moving too.

Chickens HATE change and the stress of the move and the temporary housing could cause losses. Better to do everything possible to rehome them and get new chickens when you are settled into your new home.

The first thing is to find out if it's legal to move chickens through every state that you'll pass through -- not just the place you're moving too.

Chickens HATE change and the stress of the move and the temporary housing could cause losses. Better to do everything possible to rehome them and get new chickens when you are settled into your new home.

That is probably the best advice :( I'm glad to hear from people here rehoming is possible because I kept being told it wouldn't, which is where most of my stress came from. Its much less difficult to hear than what I have been before.

I'm just not sure where to start looking...

That is probably the best advice :( I'm glad to hear from people here rehoming is possible because I kept being told it wouldn't, which is where most of my stress came from. Its much less difficult to hear than what I have been before.

I'm just not sure where to start looking...

You can put them on Craigslist. Be honest about the ages and price them accordingly.

Different regions have different prices, but here in central NC I can get $10-15 for a mature hen or a POL pullet of a mixed breed, ~$15 for a known-breed POL pullet or a mature hen of a more desirable breed, and $20 for a POL pullet or young hen of a desirable breed (like my Lavender Orpington).

I got $20 for a mature rooster of an uncommon breed who had a good behavior record and can *occasionally* get $5 for a cockerel of any breed or $10 for a cockerel of a desirable breed.

Would the people moving into your old place want the birds? When I was looking at buying a new house, there were some that had chickens and a couple offered to let the birds stay with the house. I ended up moving to a place that was a two hour drive away from where I lived. Same state, so I did not have to worry about interstate travel and all of the legal issues that come with it. The coop was mostly done but there was still more that had to be done. It was still hard on them, and incredibly stressful for me because I was more worried about finishing the chickens’ coop than I was about getting my own house unpacked, which made for more stress because it was hard to find things. Starting fresh is hard because you take a step backwards in terms of eggs, but you’re not up against a deadline trying to get them accommodations as quickly as possible.

I’d definitely give rehoming a try, you don’t necessarily have to rehome all of them to the same person, you can split them into groups that they hang out as. Definitely avoid rehoming a single bird because that is particularly hard on the bird.

You can put them on Craigslist. Be honest about the ages and price them accordingly.

Different regions have different prices, but here in central NC I can get $10-15 for a mature hen or a POL pullet of a mixed breed, ~$15 for a known-breed POL pullet or a mature hen of a more desirable breed, and $20 for a POL pullet or young hen of a desirable breed (like my Lavender Orpington).

I got $20 for a mature rooster of an uncommon breed who had a good behavior record and can *occasionally* get $5 for a cockerel of any breed or $10 for a cockerel of a desirable breed.

I definitely will if I need to, but I just don't know how comfortable I am selling them to people that I don't know what will happen to them... Especially since some of them have some special needs, like Amy is a mille fleur d'uccle (really really small) that was born deaf and her changing location would already be stressful enough for her, but mixed with her lack of hearing she could really struggle.

I definitely will if I need to, but I just don't know how comfortable I am selling them to people that I don't know what will happen to them... Especially since some of them have some special needs, like Amy is a mille fleur d'uccle (really really small) that was born deaf and her changing location would already be stressful enough for her, but mixed with her lack of hearing she could really struggle.
Many of them I am fine selling through, but some of them like her I worry about.

Hmm! I have thought at length about this myself. Personally my first choice is to temporarily house my birds at my parents, then return for them after getting settled. Not everyone has that option.

If I could not house them at a place in my current location while moving, I'd pick my favorite handful of chickens to keep, and rehome the ones I am less attached to.

Consider asking around for ideas in your future location in the "Where am I? Where are you!" Forum section.
Ask questions like:
Who do you board your animals with?
Are there places that offer temporary livestock housing for people who are moving?
Can anyone help with housing x amount of chickens while we move?

Folks local to your new location will be able to offer more suggestions, recommendations on chicken sitters in the area, or known trusted places that you might find someone willing to offer space for your birds.

Looking up livestock boarding options online is probably your next move.

Do you personally know anyone local who might be able to get you in contact with, say, the local fairgrounds, or a horse boarder willing to keep birds in a stall for a while?

If you're willing to house them at your current location with a friend (not at the house you are selling) until you can come back for them, that's another option you might look in to.

Sometimes a county fairground will offer temporary boarding to animals as long as the owner of said animals can provide a housing timeline, and provide the care (feed, bedding, water, maintaining cleanliness).
This is situation by situation and by no means is it a guarantee you will find anything, but definitely a lead worth checking in to.

Good luck, I am rooting for you to find a solution!

I definitely will if I need to, but I just don't know how comfortable I am selling them to people that I don't know what will happen to them... Especially since some of them have some special needs
like @3KillerBs said, just be honest when you’re listing them for sale or re-homing.

how long until your move? id start calling farms now to see who would be willing to take on your birds and let them live out their days happily.

for example, there’s a farm/rescue organization local to me who takes older and injured animals in all the time.

you won’t know what’s out there until you start calling.

Hmm! I have thought at length about this myself. Personally my first choice is to temporarily house my birds at my parents, then return for them after getting settled. Not everyone has that option.

If I could not house them at a place in my current location while moving, I'd pick my favorite handful of chickens to keep, and rehome the ones I am less attached to.

Consider asking around for ideas in your future location in the "Where am I? Where are you!" Forum section.
Ask questions like:
Who do you board your animals with?
Are there places that offer temporary livestock housing for people who are moving?
Can anyone help with housing x amount of chickens while we move?

Folks local to your new location will be able to offer more suggestions, recommendations on chicken sitters in the area, or known trusted places that you might find someone willing to offer space for your birds.

Looking up livestock boarding options online is probably your next move.

Do you personally know anyone local who might be able to get you in contact with, say, the local fairgrounds, or a horse boarder willing to keep birds in a stall for a while?

If you're willing to house them at your current location with a friend (not at the house you are selling) until you can come back for them, that's another option you might look in to.

Sometimes a county fairground will offer temporary boarding to animals as long as the owner of said animals can provide a housing timeline, and provide the care (feed, bedding, water, maintaining cleanliness).
This is situation by situation and by no means is it a guarantee you will find anything, but definitely a lead worth checking in to.

Good luck, I am rooting for you to find a solution!
I will look into it. Thank you a lot

Back
Top Bottom