Moving yolks, old refrigerated eggs

Sparks4stp

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2021
Hello!
I decided on a whim to throw eggs of varying ages, some probably a couple of weeks old that have been refrigerated, into my incubator because our favorite silkie hen was killed and I’m hoping for a last ditch effort to hatch out one of her babies, otherwise I wouldn’t even be bothering.
They are on about day 3.5 and I can see veining and growth in almost all of them but I noticed the yolks are free floating around in the eggs. I keep finding differing opinions as to whether this is an issue. Does this mean my air cells are detached? Should I not be turning them? Storing them upright instead in the incubator or just continue as normal?

Thanks for any advice!

Hello!
I decided on a whim to throw eggs of varying ages, some probably a couple of weeks old that have been refrigerated, into my incubator because our favorite silkie hen was killed and I’m hoping for a last ditch effort to hatch out one of her babies, otherwise I wouldn’t even be bothering.
They are on about day 3.5 and I can see veining and growth in almost all of them but I noticed the yolks are free floating around in the eggs. I keep finding differing opinions as to whether this is an issue. Does this mean my air cells are detached? Should I not be turning them? Storing them upright instead in the incubator or just continue as normal?

Thanks for any advice!

I think after 74 hours the egg has no change of being incubated. I think its also too cold in the fridge to keep a baby alive.

the yolks are free floating around in the eggs.
The yolks are supposed to be in the middle of the eggs and not touching sides or ends. I don't understand what the problem is?

Does this mean my air cells are detached? Should I not be turning them? Storing them upright instead in the incubator or just continue as normal?

Thanks for any advice!
The yolks and air cells are different things so I don't think so.

Should I not be turning them?
You need to turn them for different reasons. Turning helps the body parts to form in the right places. Turning helps keep the yolks and developing embryo in the center of the egg so it doesn't touch the inside of the egg shell. If the yolk or embryo touches the inside of the shell it can stick, which means the chick cannot hatch. After two weeks the body parts have formed and a membrane has formed around the embryo so it is safe for it to touch the inside of the shell so after two weeks you don't have to turn them, but for the first two weeks turning is very important.

Storing them upright instead in the incubator or just continue as normal?
I think what you are talking about is turning, so yes, turn as normal.

I think after 74 hours the egg has no change of being incubated.
If the eggs are veining they are developing. I regularly store eggs a week and they develop and hatch no problems. Under ideal storage conditions the professionals can store them for two weeks and still get good hatches.

I think its also too cold in the fridge to keep a baby alive.
The ideal temperature to store them is 55 degrees Fahrenheit. The further you are away from that the worst the storage conditions but plenty of people have hatched chicks from refrigerated eggs. It's one of those things that it is not ideal but it can work.

our favorite silkie hen was killed and I’m hoping for a last ditch effort to hatch out one of her babies, otherwise I wouldn’t even be bothering.
You did the right thing. It's not ideal conditions but either they hatch or they won't. If you don't try they won't.

Good luck.

The yolks are supposed to be in the middle of the eggs and not touching sides or ends. I don't understand what the problem is?

The yolks and air cells are different things so I don't think so.

You need to turn them for different reasons. Turning helps the body parts to form in the right places. Turning helps keep the yolks and developing embryo in the center of the egg so it doesn't touch the inside of the egg shell. If the yolk or embryo touches the inside of the shell it can stick, which means the chick cannot hatch. After two weeks the body parts have formed and a membrane has formed around the embryo so it is safe for it to touch the inside of the shell so after two weeks you don't have to turn them, but for the first two weeks turning is very important.

I think what you are talking about is turning, so yes, turn as normal.

If the eggs are veining they are developing. I regularly store eggs a week and they develop and hatch no problems. Under ideal storage conditions the professionals can store them for two weeks and still get good hatches.

The ideal temperature to store them is 55 degrees Fahrenheit. The further you are away from that the worst the storage conditions but plenty of people have hatched chicks from refrigerated eggs. It's one of those things that it is not ideal but it can work.

You did the right thing. It's not ideal conditions but either they hatch or they won't. If you don't try they won't.

Good luck.
Thanks so much for all this. Fingers crossed something comes of this!

10/11 developed AND hatched! Here’s a pic from a couple days ago. They’re a couple weeks old now. 8 whites and 2 partridges. Was hoping for a black one like the hen I lost but 🤷🏻‍♀️
CABE4D93-BF28-4637-A54F-2D0C5A56271D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom