Moving.....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Arklady, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    As many that know me know I have been planning to move this coming fall. There is one question I need an answer for and I don't want people to tell me not to do it but to tell me how to do it safely because this is not debatable.

I have to move a 4yo mustang. He is wild. I don't have any choice but to tranquilize him. I know I can get a tranquilizer gun from the vet but has anyone ever done this and what was your experience like and what was the cost.

Thanks

Arklady

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There was just a sale around here on the wild mustangs and they advised a large trailer to haul them in-they didn't tranqualize them. They also said you had to have a strong and sturdy 6 ft fence. I'm not sure how much yours has been worked with but, I thought maybe what was advertised for the sale might help.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  3. KLH2010

KLH2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Do you have a plan for getting him in the trailer once he's down?

4. Arklady

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    I don't necessarily want him down he isn't dangerous just wile as all get out. I want him at a manageable but not an unconscious state. To me that would be horrible. I plan on renting a trailer to move him because ours is broken. But he has no halter on and I require one be put on him so having him happy and lethargic would be good till he is moved.

Geesh I would hate having him lying down on a trip like that.

Arklady

5. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    You might want to ask at a feed mill for someone with experiance with this, they may be able to direct you to someone local who could help.

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    good luck with him, I hope no one gets hurt. I know how dangerous they can get when trailer'd

7. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I don't think I would want to haul a tranquilized animal. They need to be alert to help with balance in the trailer.

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I'd discuss it with a large animal doctor. They should be able to help you. To where are you moving?

9. Arklady

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Its not like I am having him heavily sedated only mildly calmed down so I can get that dang halter on him for better control.

Hopefully by years end.

Arklady

10. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Give Marvin Grimm a call, he might be able to help you out with your horse or know of someone who can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by