MPC EE egg color poll!

sevenbabychicks

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Saint Paul, MN
Hey all,

I have one (possibly two) EE from My Pet Chicken, and would like to narrow down the probability of a green or blue egg as they she gets closer to her first one. ... or figure out the chances that she's responsible for one of the 4 eggs (brown and ivory) that I've found so far.

As a side note: anyone ever get an EE with no muff and a rose comb from MPC? Trying to figure out what my mystery chicken is... she looks to be crossed with a rosecomb bantam.

Thanks!

The easiest wy to know for future reference is to ask them what color egg it hatched from. Then you have a 50 % chance of knowing unless it was blue... then it will lay blue. Unless of course it turns out to be a rooster .
gig.gif
lau.gif
But they are pretty good at sexing.

I got 3 ee's from MPC last spring. 2 lay blue eggs, and one green. One of the blue layers has a rose comb, but no beard/muffs. I picked up another ee from the feed store later in the spring, she lays a beige egg though. I love my ee girls. The friendliest of all my chickens by far.
love.gif

EE's have Pea combs, not rose combs.
wink.png

And, a neat thing you might be able to do in telling your girls from green, brown, vs blue egg is looking at the comb. Is it really tiny and tight? She may lay a blue egg. Is it serrated, like a sawtooth edge? She's definitely going to lay a brown egg. Is it lumpy like a pea comb, but rather large, getting to a tall height? She's very likely to lay a green egg.

I have 2 EEs from MPC.

Sassafras is a typical partridge EE color; brown and black markings on her back, orange neck and head with black streaks on her neck. She has a pea comb, a muff and lays a green egg.

Lola is buff with white lacing. Actually, I think she may have a gene that blocks the color black, as she has the same base orange/buff color that Sassafras has, but everywhere that Sassafras is black, Lola is white. She has a pea comb, but no muff. Her egg is a lighter, sage green.

Here is a picture showing their markings. I'll try to get a picture of their eggs tomorrow.
smile.png

Sassafras is on the left, Lola on the right.

47159_sassafras_and_lola.jpg

You mean white with buff lacing.
wink.png
What you're seeing is dominant white blocking out the black normally found on a duckwing, which is what the brown girl is. The laced affect is likely from melanizers commonly found in duckwing/bbr Easter Eggers.

Age? I'd say a month to two months before they begin laying, so about 4-6 months old.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the info! I had been wondering about their color genetics for awhile. Good guess on the ages. This picture was taken in December, when they were5 months old, and they just started laying in February.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom