Mr Pickles is a BadA$$

If it’s shock, wouldn’t he basically be unresponsive? He’s not. He ran across the run like usual, went in to the coop, he worked his way to the middle roost where he always sleeps, and I went to check on him again and he started clacking his beak at me and giving me the stink eye and scooting down the roost (all normal behavior). Once we put him in the run he started acting fine.
Then you don't have to worry about that. I'd just keep as close an eye on him as you can do to watch for signs of anything unseen on his exterior. They can hide internal injuries extremely well at first.

Then you don't have to worry about that. I'd just keep as close an eye on him as you can do to watch for signs of anything unseen on his exterior. They can hide internal injuries extremely well at first.
I mean what am I looking for? I expect him to be a little weird tomorrow and maybe the next day.

This is the only photo I could find. Pickles usually goes up on the roof peak (well over 6’ off the ground) if it’s a day he has refused to go up and the dog is out. My flock free ranges my yard most of the day most days and my bigger dog is out but supervised or he’s inside. The only time the dog is out unsupervised is on naughty Pickles nights because we’ll try for over an hour and Pickles just won’t give up. That said, Pickles always goes up to the peak of the roof if the dog is out.
You put 10 birds in this gray coop?

There is a reason he doesn't go in there by himself.
I'm trying to figure out why.

How many birds do you have?
Thanks for your help. I love my babies and did years of research before getting them and am trying to do my best. They aren’t just livestock to us, they’re our pets. They follow us around the yard, I swear most recognize their names, most will come demand pets if your sitting/close to the ground and rub your leg like a dog does. I’m so torn up about this. I’m getting a dog run tomorrow so they can have more space to roam but also be safe until we can extend the attached run.

I mean what am I looking for? I expect him to be a little weird tomorrow and maybe the next day.
That depends on the severity of it. He may have it but so little that it heals without you even knowing. If it's worse, and he starts acting weak, looking pale, fluffing up and huddling, looking sleepy are all symptoms. But even with those they can still pull through on their own sometimes. If you do see them I'd suggest taking them to a vet if it's possible. For me it wasn't possible because there aren't any vets in my area that take chickens.

😳 This is why he isn't going in there. There isn't enough room.
He has been lately. He’s been herding the girls in at night even. They’ve got just under what I was told (and I asked before building/buying and the general consensus was 3 give or take, large breeds more small breeds less and most of mine are about 4lbs full size). I feel so bad! Is it better to figure out the heck to make this bigger or add another coop?

Back
Top Bottom