Mr T my tom turkey has attitude

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

I had a tom like this. Despite first attempting handling him and then carrying a big stick around with me, he continued to show signs of aggression. His son displays some of these characteristics too. Just like a mean rooster - it's a very hard habit to break and undesirable as it can be very genetic. Ditch him and get yourself a good tempered tom, especially if you want to breed your birds.

I'm new to this so am having trouble trying to do a new post...sorry. So I have a new Tom that's not aggressive but now that it's breeding season he got very rough with one of my hens and injured her badly! It's been almost 3 weeks and she is finally almost healed and started walking yesterday. I had her inside and had to even hand feed her. These are pets so I love them. I separated the Tom and am hesitant to put him back in with the two girls. Should I keep him separated until breeding season is over with? Until when? End of May? Not sure what to do as this never happened to me before. Please advise. Thank you!

I had a tom once who was as sweet as could be but he hated my blue flannel shirt. He got very aggressive when I wore it! So obviously I stopped and that problem was solved. If the problem is he's just mean then I agree to get rid of him and find a calmer tom! No one likes getting chased by a turkey!!!

Back
Top Bottom