Mrs Puff isn't feeling quite right Help!

purr

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
east freetown, ma
Mrs Puff is a buff laced polish she's 19 weeks old, she's all puffed up and not moving around.
Her eyes are clear I checked for wounds , none, I didn't see any mites or lice her crop is empty her belly is not distended. I don't know what could be wrong for her. She's so sweet anyone have any ideas?

Check around her backside and lower abs. at 19 weeks she should be getting ready to lay. She may have an egg laying problem developing. Press gently and see if you feel any hard spots in her. I do not suggest you do a internal vent exam unless you do feel a hard mass trying to pass. At that point a gloved or super clean lubricated finger can be gently used to feel inside her for an egg that may be stuck.

I checked and it seems the same as the others but now she can't stand up I have her in the house with me and she can't seem to hold up her head either

Don't put her back in the coop with the other chickens. Put her in a warm dimly lit place. Give her water with raw apple cider vinegar. You can try her with 5 drops poly-vi-sol (liquid baby vitamins) by beak once a day for a good boost. Give her some yogurt and scrambled egg for probiotics and protein. Watch her carefully for other symptoms.

Keep a check on her poops and let us know what they look like.

k I took her out of the coop earlier and I have apple cider vinegar but I have to go buy a dropper and vitamins , thank you so much

This is Purr's daughter the chicken just sqwacked and wrilled around in pain she was previously turning her head a little bit toward my mom when she would hold her but she just picked her up and her head is complete flopped over. She says she feels cold to the touch and her breathing is very very labored. Its sad. I don't think she is going to make it. Just so sad.

I am very sorry. The world of chickens is a cold cruel place. They can get sick in no time and it can be fatal before you can even determine a cause.

well I got some water and cider and vitamins in her and I have her wrapped in a towel loosely so she can't hurt herself and to hold her head in a position where she can breathe. She's resting now and I'm hoping for the best.

Back
Top Bottom