Mrsalley-? on what's stealing her eggs

maplesky7

Flock Mistress
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
N. IL.
Hi all,
Found a misplaced question in a random thread and thought I'd help the new member out and post her question here. Thanks.

mrsalley wrote:
I'm probably at the wrong forum. I'm looking for help regarding predators. My question is: I think our coop is secure. I put in 5 boiled eggs with Xs on them to encourage laying. One by one, the eggs have disappeared. No sign of egg shells, egg remains of any kind. I figure a predator would take the chickens over the eggs?? I don't think a snake would be active in the icy weather. They have come up missing in the coldest of weather. I have cleaned out my coop and there is no trace of any eggshells or anything. I would love some feed back. This is my first time at raising chickens. I have had them since about the latter part of summer last year. Thank you in advance. mrsalley

ha ha ha! I don't know how you did it Mrsalley...but you surely dug up an old thread of funnies to add your question.

when you log on to index...you will see a predator thread....that is where you will have help answering this question.

and I would presume YOUR CHICKENS are eating those eggs. You hard boiled them and made them smell yummy...and shells have calcium. They will even eat their own just laid eggs. I think you may have just encouraged bad behavior. So my advice...they will lay when they are ready...don't use eggs.

regards,
Gretchen

Wow! I think I like it here. I am from Arkansas, transplanted from Sapulpa, Ok. We will be here two years this June. I am lovn' it. I think I need more hens and not sure where to get some resonably priced. Not ready to raise the fuzzy ones to mature. Would rather get some that can be put right in with the adults. New to raising chickens and will eventually get milk goats, prefer Nubians. Want to get a Llama or two, some peacocks, etc, etc, etc. lol Learning to be country. Open to any feedback coming my way. :0)

Welcome to BYC mrsalley - I am just up the road from you! You will definitely like it here - and you will learn tons! There are lots of Okies on this site - we have a chatty thread going at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23736

As
for buying hens in your area, you might post a "want ad" on the Chickens & Chicks Buy Sell Trade forum on this site. I know there are Okies who sell chickens on here. If you'd like to PM me I'll give you the name of one person in our area who's chickens I've seen and would recommend.

Glad you're here!

I don't think you are up the road from me. I live in Gepp, Arkansas, pronounced; Jeep. I can tell I am from Arkansas with that spelling. I am lovn' it. Am dealing with chickens with sinititus, I think that is what my neighbor said. Wonderful neighbors. Found her while looking for some hens to purchase. Predators got into the ones I was going to purchase, so I am still looking. She and her son and daughter came to my house, and showing that wonderful Arkansas neighborlyness, injected ALL my chickens and wouldn't let me pay her. She is coming back on Monday to give them all a second dose. She said it was very contageous and would wipe out all my chickens. We even vaccinated the guinne. How's that for great? I think I am going to do ok here. :0)

Last edited:
Sorry - my brain must have ignored the Arkansas part and retained the Sapulpa part! What a great neighbor - it does sound like you'll like it there. Good luck on the health of your clucks!

Back
Top Bottom