Mt lion or bobcat?. ***pic***

nab58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
CT
We took this picture with our game cam at the edge of the woods in our backyard at 5am.

Do you think it's a mountain lion or a bobcat? We're in CT. The pic, unfortunately, didn't include it's tail. The trap it's standing in front of is about 2 ft tall.

We took this picture with our game cam at the edge of the woods in our backyard at 5am.

Do you think it's a mountain lion or a bobcat? We're in CT. The pic, unfortunately, didn't include it's tail. The trap it's standing in front of is about 2 ft tall.

HOLY SMOKES! I am in Eastern NY, about 12 miles from Kent, Ct. My first reaction was mountain lion, the body type just looks like that but do we have them around here?? DH says Mountain Lion, but the ears look clearly bobcat to me. Any experts here have any idea? I have got to get me one of those cameras!

MB

This is a pic of a bobcat we took in our backyard. It's clearly different.

I'm torn between the two, but am leaning toward bobcat. The spots are common with adult bobcats, but only young mountain lions have them, adults do not. But that said, I am positive we have mountain lions in the state. I live in NW CT (Barkhamsted), and know we have a small population of mountain lions - I don't care what State DEP claims! I have a friend in Canton who has a picture of a mountain lion in his apple orchard taken earlier this summer. You can see the long tail. My neighbors tell a story of the previous owner of my house, who was a State vet, releasing two young mountain lions in the area a few decades ago.

Let us know if you get any more pics.

I've captured some pics of bobcat around my coop, but no mountain lions yet.

The body sure says "Mountain Lion" Here is a mountain lion from my cam.

Here I am standing close to the same spot, I am 5 foot 3 inches tall. (Yes it rattled my nerves when I saw these pictures for the first time)

Last edited:
I change my vote. Going for a young mountain lion! Came across pics online of young mountain lions that had spots like your pic shows.

Don't you wish the camera took a second shot, or waiting a second or two so the tail was in the picture!

My husband thinks it's a young mountain lion whom is losing it's spots. At first he thought bobcat but he is leaning towards M.L. because of the stout body and the time of year it is. This is the time of year the spots would be fading.

Last edited:
The cat in the pic is stocky. The Mountain Lions' body and legs are definitely longer and more useful for running down prey. This would make perfect sense when you read the list of fetal Cougar attracts on humans and see that the most dangerous human activity in mountain lion country is jogging, bike or tricycle riding, horseback riding, and hiking, all activities that can spark a spur of the moment attack when the cat perceives fleeing natural prey after watching a human from behind either running, riding, or hiking.

Back
Top Bottom