MUCKY BUM!

GroningerGeens

In the Brooder
May 22, 2016
Southampton England
Hi everyone,

I could do with a little advice
Below is a pic of the bum of a Sussex hybrid I have.
For a few weeks now she has been runny and making a mess of herself.
She seems to be eating ok and drinking.

I have seperated her because she has been sitting a lit and looks like walking is hard work for her at times - maybe a little fed up and weak looking and sounding.

Tonight I gave her a good trim

Here is her bum a bit cleaner and visible

So, this is the first time i have had a good look at her in this way and i am not really sure what to look for. She did not seem red and inflamed and there was nothing stuck in there as far as i could see. And as she has been laying I don't think there is an egg issue.

I took the opportunity to have a feel of her abdomen ad her crop, looked at her feet etc.

I also then looked at two other hens to have a little comparison. Her crop was the softest - full but quite liquid compared with the other two - though not a massive difference
All of their abdomen felt as firm as each other. She did not make any uncomfortable noises while I was having a good feel - and she was awake during this time.
She had a feed too on a few sunflower seeds as a treat and then ate some layers once I put her back in her area.

So - I found no evidence of anything really, so I will just monitor her I think, Maybe get some cider vinegar to put in her water and a bit more yogurt!

If there is anything else I should have looked for please let me know and I will be Vet tomorrow night too!!

At minimum I would suggest checking her crop first thing in the morning before she has a chance to eat/drink. If it felt fluid or squishy today you want to be sure it is emptying and isn't sour crop. It can give that dirty bum and lethargic condition you are describing. Hold off on ACV until you confirm that her crop is ok. Have you wormed? If not I would. How old is she and is she laying normally?

At minimum I would suggest checking her crop first thing in the morning before she has a chance to eat/drink. If it felt fluid or squishy today you want to be sure it is emptying and isn't sour crop. It can give that dirty bum and lethargic condition you are describing. Hold off on ACV until you confirm that her crop is ok. Have you wormed? If not I would. How old is she and is she laying normally?

Hi.

I will check her crop tomorrow and see how she is.
Yesterday I saw her poop and it was excellent. Could the yoghurt have sorted her out?
She seemed in better spirits too.
I'm working now so I'll catch up this evening with her!

What is ACV?
What worker should I use - do you have to omit eating her eggs for a while after?
They are all about 8 months old.

Geoff.

Back
Top Bottom