Mud in Coop.

I like deep litter in the run to keep it dry and clean.

The bedding -- a mix of wood chips, wood shavings, pine straw, straw, fall leaves, and whatever else I have handy -- absorbs the poop and neutralizes it in a cold composting process while keeping the chickens' feet dry and clean (important for me because I like Brahmas and other feather-footed breeds). Putting down layers of the above would go a long way toward solving your mud problem.

Also, if you have drainage issues with ground water running into or collecting in your chicken run you should consider using grass swales and/or French drains to correct the drainage before long-term health problems occur. :)
We did make a drain for the water its just not big enough. I have never thought of litter good idea. They're is a big tree over it so the leaves do help. Thank you for the idea :thumbsup

My in-town coop and run had one too many chickens for the size but I never had odor issues a layer of fresh pine straw or shavings couldn't solve.
My in-town coop and run had one too many chickens for the size but I never had odor issues a layer of fresh pine straw or shavings couldn't solve.
20200707_143811.jpg

It's raing again yeah😒

It's raing again yeah😒

A hot, wet climate EATS bedding with the enhanced composting action so we've got to keep adding more.

Growing up in western PA, my Dad would use 6 sheets of newspaper as mulch for the tomatoes and squash. It lasted the whole growing season. I tried that when I first moved here to central NC and it lasted only a couple months. Even cardboard boxes wouldn't last all summer.

We nw
A hot, wet climate EATS bedding with the enhanced composting action so we've got to keep adding more.

Growing up in western PA, my Dad would use 6 sheets of newspaper as mulch for the tomatoes and squash. It lasted the whole growing season. I tried that when I first moved here to central NC and it lasted only a couple months. Even cardboard boxes wouldn't last all summer.
We never had that problem if just corn won't grow like everything else.

Pretty much water puddles, but plan on getting a drain system going soon. Know any good places to get wood chips?

Tree trimming companies will often give them away for free if you'll accept the entire truck load. Fresh ones should age for a while to prevent mold but can be applied cautiously in thin layers.

Some towns have municipal piles that residents can access for free or at a nominal cost.

Tree trimming companies will often give them away for free if you'll accept the entire truck load. Fresh ones should age for a while to prevent mold but can be applied cautiously in thin layers.

Some towns have municipal piles that residents can access for free or at a nominal cost.
Okay thank you

Back
Top Bottom