Mud in the run

chriscruz

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
Santa Cruz, CA
I have four hens in a coop with access to a run area that is covered with corrugated roofing and tarps for shade and rain protection. Even so, when it rains parts of the ground get very muddy which doesn't seem to bother the birds, but it is slippery for me and smells bad. Should I put down shavings or straw or leave it be until it dries out in the spring?

I have four hens in a coop with access to a run area that is covered with corrugated roofing and tarps for shade and rain protection.  Even so, when it rains parts of the ground get very muddy which doesn't seem to bother the birds, but it is slippery for me and smells bad.  Should I put down shavings or straw or leave it be until it dries out in the spring?
I put wood shavings down for the same problem and it works great and it's cheap like 6.00 bucks

I had the same problem , recently I went to a sawmill got sawdust put in the run and it helped tremendously.

I would put sand, only because it would drain better when it rains again. (For me I have plenty of access of sand, that's why I use it.) All the other ideas are great but in the end you would have to take it out or clean it. With sand you can just rake over it.

Hope this helps and good luck!

You could also put a couple pallets in the run for the chickens to be able to get out of the mud with. Depends on how much mud soup you are dealing with lol. Not to much mud I would add some straw or shavings. LOTS of mud needs nature to dry it up and the pallets would give your chickens a place to stand without being in mud.

We use straw. We also "muck out" every few months... which includes raking up all the muck and straw and hauling it out to the compost. It typically leaves a bunch of worms for the ladies and it lets the the decomposed straw finish up in the compost pile.

Back
Top Bottom