1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mud Mud Mud!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clifford258, Dec 9, 2013.

1. clifford258

clifford258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    Hey folks I am battleing a heck of a muddy run. I don't have a roof over the run and don't want to have one. I have put sand and gravy down keeps getting washed away so I'm done with that. Now I have hundreads of the like 6in by maybe a foot long concrete blocks not the ones with holes but just flat blocks. Do you all think this would hurt to put down on floor??

2. clifford258

clifford258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Greeneville,TN
    Hey! Thanks for the reply!! I have read that. I wanna use the blocks because I have so many thats just stacked and not being used. Do you this would work?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm just not sure now is the time to place them. I'd wait until it's dry and you can stabilize them with sand or something. I think if you try to put them down now they'll shift a lot and you'll wind up with an uneven, ankle turning mess.

Plus, having something like that will prevent the birds from being able to scratch in the run. I have a muddy, uncovered run also. I just cover a small part of it, and let them be in mud in the rest. Everyone else here walks in mud--horses, goats, etc. Doesn't hurt the chickens to go through mud as long as they do have dry places to go.

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Last two posts were helpful replies. Drainage pipe works wonders for areas that gather water. Connecting box grates to the pipe helps drain water faster. I surround mine with 3/4 crushed rock so water moves better. Digging a few ditches is a quick fix. Sometimes adding clean fill dirt and the sand packs down better in the yard and won't run off with the water. Enough sand mixed in will help with drainage. Even a short retaining wall built in strategic areas around the yard can help keep much water out of the yard. Darn gophers around here change the water direction every so often, hah.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by